Part 1: Chapter 17

When I regained consciousness, I reached for my cheek. It was still sore to the touch. I felt around the bed that I was on. It was soft enough to be considered a bed, but hard because every time I moved it would make an annoying crinkling sound. With the constant beeping and chilling atmosphere, I knew exactly were I was even though I had yet to open my eyes. I hated hospitals. I always tried to avoid them, but I knew I'd be here sooner or later. I moved to sit up when a pinching sensation on my arm and a sharp pain in my head made me stop.

"You shouldn't move." My eyes shot open.

"Take it easy. I didn't mean to scare you," a nurse said halting my movements. I looked down at my arm to see a needle sticking out of it. My eyes widened.

"It's just an IV. You desperately need it." I didn't say anything. She gently pushed me back down against the bed and situated my arms so that they were back at my sides.

"I don't want to be here," my voice came out strained.

"I understand, but you passed out at work and hit your head. The man that brought you here was frantic and worried for you. He said he wasn't family so he wasn't allowed back, but he has been in the waiting room for hours now."

"Is his name Earl?" I asked.

"Yea, actually it is. Would you like to see him?"

I shook my head no. "Not right now." I didn't want him to see me like this.

"Okay, well, I'll send the doctor in and she can go over the results of your tests. Just relax and I'll be back in a few."

When I didn't respond, she gave me a small smile and retreated towards the door. She stopped for a second on her way out. "Happy Birthday." Then she left. I didn't dwell on her words. I knew it was my birthday, but it doesn't even matter now. I'm stuck in this damn hospital. It was taking forever for the doctor to arrive, so I kept dozing off. I needed to stay awake or else I probably won't get to see the doctor until I wake up again. The faster I met with them, the faster I could be discharged.

There was a knock at the door before it was pushed open.

"Hello Asha. I'm Dr. Stevens. How are you feeling?" I looked up as she walked over to the bed. I was surprised to see that she was a black woman, maybe in her mid 40s. I haven't been around many doctors but she seemed young. When I pictured a doctor, I saw an older white man with grey hair and a receded hairline.

"I'm fine," I mumbled. She looked over the clipboard in her hand. She also checked the monitors and the IV drip in my arm.

"Do you mind if I sit you up?"

I shook my head no. She pushed a button and the upper half of my body rose. She stopped it before I was almost completely upright. The nurse walked in and handed me a cup of water. This was just what I needed. I muttered a thank you and downed the small cup in one gulp. I looked down as Dr. Stevens took my arm in her hand and took my blood pressure.

"I did some standard blood work while you were unconscious, and besides being severely malnourished and underweight, the tests show that you are pregnant, which could have been the reason why you fainted. But, there are so many factors to account for, so really, anything could have caused you to pass out-"

"Wait, what?" I could feel my heart rate spike.

"Pregnant? No you're wrong. My period is too irregular. I haven't had one in like three months. You're wrong. You're lying."

"I can't be pregnant. That's impossible," I stated in disbelief.

"Asha, nothing's impossible. It is usually very unlikely, but it can happen. I mean, your body is shot. Your organs are working too hard to try and sustain the little nutrition you have. We can do another test, which will come back positive. And, even then, it is unlikely that you will carry to full term. Your body cannot sustain a parasite, which is essentially what a baby is."