Part 1: Chapter 1

I quickly checked the time and it was only 7:05. I inwardly laughed at practically waking up only a few minutes before my alarm. I slept so hard that I thought I was running late for school. I dragged my feet over the side of my bed and stood up on my tippy toes, raising my arms up to the sky for a good stretch.

I made my way to the bathroom and turned on the shower before quickly shedding my clothes and hopping in. I was out in five minutes. I wrapped my towel around my body and walked over to the sink to brush my teeth.

Once done, I finally looked in the mirror for the first time, not caring for the reflection that stared back at me. I took my bonnet off and watched as an array of coils framed my face. I was regretting not doing my hair last night. I sighed out in frustration and made haste in putting my hair in a sleek pineapple on top of my head. I did my edges and put on some chapstick.

Now the big task is finding something to wear that I will feel comfortable in for my first day of junior year at a new school. I was previously going to a school a few miles down the road but my mom felt it best that I go to the same school as Kennedy, so I was enrolled there. I had no say, and it's not like I had friends or anyone that I would miss.

After trying on four pairs of jeans, I opted for some grey joggers, a matching grey t-shirt and some all white Nike shoes. I grabbed my bag before going downstairs. I passed Kennedy's room and she was blasting music. I rolled my eyes.

"Finally, you're up," my mom said while rummaging through a stack of papers on the kitchen table. She looked up at me, gave me a once over, and rolled her eyes.

"Where Kennedy?" She asked. I didn't respond. She continued to flip through some papers before she found what she was looking for. Not long after, Kennedy came into the kitchen. She brushed past me.

"Good mornin' Kennedy. I made you some breakfast."

"Mornin' mama," she said back. I watched as she walked over to the stove and picked up a piece of bacon. Not really caring, I made my way to the front door. "Asha, where you going?"

"School," I said back. I shut the front door behind me and walked into the cool breeze. It was still cool out but the spring weather was gradually coming in. The busses don't start running until tomorrow so I had to walk. Luckily, the school wasn't too far.

.........

"Ah, you must be Asha," an older petite woman said to me as I walked into the front office.

"Yes, that's me." I shook her hand and she told me her name was Mrs. Brown.

"Here is your schedule. I know you had some transfer credits from your previous school and it seems as if you're actually a little bit ahead of your year. That's impressive."

She gave me a warm smile and I returned it with one of my own. She also gave me my locker number as well as the combination and she provided me with a map of the school.

"Do you need help with getting around today?" She asked.

"No I'll be fine."

"Okay dear. Have a great day." I just nodded in return and made my way out of the front office. I looked at the map closely to try and find the restrooms. I spotted one down the hall and made my way to it. A couple of girls pushed open the door as soon as I got to it. I slid out of the way as they exited without such as a glance my way.

I walked into the restroom and examined myself in the mirror. My face was a little flushed, no doubt from my walk here. I made sure I didn't have any sweat stains and that my edges were still intact. Once I was satisfied, I started looking for my locker. The halls were filled and it was a little overwhelming, but I kept my head down and weaved in and out of people, mumbling "excuse me" every so often.