Part 1: Chapter 13

"Asha, did something happen?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You don't come visit me anymore. I don't see you with your friends at all, did something happen?" Mrs. Brown asked me.

"No," I said curtly. I looked around her office to avoid her intense gaze. I didn't want to be here, but she insisted. She even took me out of class and everything.

"I talked to Briana, April, and Ashanti. They all seem worried about you."

"I'm fine Mrs. Brown. I'm just more focused on school and work. That's all."

"Are you sure there's nothing going on at home, maybe-"

"No. Can I go?" I asked standing up.

"Asha?"

"Goodbye Mrs. Brown. I'll see you later." I walked out of the front office and went straight back to class. I tried my best to continue to distance myself from everyone. It's been like this for weeks. When I got home from the carnival, my mom practically destroyed my room looking for "her" money. The same money Kennedy took from me saying that she was collecting it for her. Apparently, my momma ain't get the money. When I tried to tell her that I had already gave it to Kennedy, she spat in my face and called me a liar. I ain't ever felt so disrespected. And I can't seem to forget the look in her eye, the look of pure hatred. She hates me for reasons I can't fathom. She hates everything about me, that's why she's always trynna change me. On top of that, it would kill her to see me succeed, so she'd rather take the little I have and knock me down a few pegs until I feel worse than shit. I don't know what happened to the money I gave Kennedy, but I bet she spent it. So because of her, I also had to give up ALL of my last paycheck. One good thing though, was that my mom didn't stumble upon anything important while she was destroying my room.

But, to be completely honest, I haven't felt the same since that night. I feel dead inside. Now, the only thing still driving me to keep going is the thought of getting as far away from here as possible.

It was the end of the day, and I was getting ready to leave. I was at my locker when I saw Cairo across the hall with some girl. It was the same girl that was all over him awhile back at Brandon's kickback. They seemed to be real close, but I couldn't tell if they were together or not. I quickly looked away when I accidentally locked eyes with him. I panicked when he started walking towards me. I slammed my locker closed and stormed down the hall towards the front of the school. I exited the building and started heading for the buses when I felt a hand go around my arm. Cairo tugged harshly as he dragged me over to his car across the parking lot. I tore away from him and stood as far from him as I could.

"What do you want?" I asked wrapping my arms around myself.

"Look at me."

I shook my head. "What do you want?" I kept my head down as I fiddled with the material of my sweatshirt.

"I'll take you home, I need to talk to you." I shook my head no.

He started walking towards me, trapping me between him and his car. "Are you on drugs?" At his bold revelation, I stormed away. Well, I tried to, but he grabbed me again.

"I know what it looks like when someone's on drugs," he whispered.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I tried to force my way past him again, but he only got closer. He gently pushed me against his car. He was so close that I bet people were staring at us. Luckily, I couldn't see around his huge frame. Did I even care anymore?

"What do you want from me?"

"I care about you," he said.

"Don't say that. No you don't," I said pushing at his chest.