Part 2: Chapter 30

I dropped Royce off at school and met with some potential buyers. I picked a total of five houses that I thought they would like. All of the houses were within their budget. Out of the five, they really liked two of them. They said they would call me within the week to make a final decision, but I told them to be quick with their decision because houses sell fast. Afterwards, I had some time to kill so I ran by the grocery store. I picked up a few items. While I was loading the car, I got this weird sensation that someone was staring at me. I turned and came face to face with the girl from the park. My face scrunched up in distaste.

"If you see that bitch again, it's not a coincidence."

I remembered Penny's words two nights ago.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot," she said fiddling with her hands.

"Why are you watching me? What the fuck do you want? Is this some sick joke?" I was rather calm given the circumstances. I slammed my trunk shut and turned to fully face her. I would not back down. If she was some kind of threat, I needed to know right now.

She continued to play with her hands while my patience was running thin.

"Nope, see this is when I call the police."

"No, please. I-I..." I was two seconds away from calling the police. Why was I even entertaining her? When I got fed up with the silence, I jumped in my car. The girl stuck her arm out as I was closing the door and I stopped at the last second.

"Wait. I meant no harm. I wasn't trying to hurt your child. I just didn't know how to approach you-"

"Move your arm," I warned.

"Wait, I'm trying to talk to you."

"I don't give a fuck about anything you have to say or what excuses you're gonna give. And never mind the fact that you've been following me, which is creepy. I don't know who-"

"I'm your sister," she blurted out.

"Try again. I don't have a sister."

"Dad."

I was about to refute that as well, but the thought of my dad had my thoughts spiraling out of control. My father abandoned me a long time ago. I didn't have one then and I certainly don't have one now.

"Get away from my car," I told her.

"You're my sister. I found you through dad. He's been tryna call you."

"Lies."

"I'm not lying."

"I don't want anything to do with any of y'all."

"But, wait please. I can prove it." She reached in her pocket and I took the opportunity to close my door. She jumped back as I reversed out of the spot and sped off, tires screeching.

"Fuck!"

I took the long way home twice just in case someone was following me. I drove way past the speed limit the entire time. I was paranoid. There's no way that girl is my sister or that my dad is trying to get in contact with me. I don't have a dad, a mom, a sister, nothing. I came to an abrupt halt as I pulled up into the driveway. I put the car in park. My phone suddenly went off and I jumped as the ringer blasted through the silent car. I took my seatbelt off, searching through my purse that I threw in the backseat. All of its contents were spread out over the floor. I found my phone and picked it up just as it was about to go out. My eyes widened at seeing the caller ID-it was Royce's school.

"I'm sorry. I'm on my way. I'll be there soon," I rushed out before hanging up. I pulled out the driveway and made it to the school in record breaking time. I hopped out the car and went to Royce's classroom. She was the only child left, but she had a smile on her face as she talked with her teachers. That smile made me feel so much better. One of her teachers pointed in my direction and Royce got up out of her seat and ran to me. I bent down to her level as she smashed into my body. Not phased at all, she wrapped her small arms around me and I melted into her.