Part 2: Chapter 39

2 months later
.....

"Mommy, what are you doing?"

"Ummm, nothing. Why? Do you need help with something?"

"Can you watch me write?"

"Yeah, of course." I put down the letter that was in my hand. I've literally been consumed by them, so much so that I think I've read all of them more than a handful of times. I haven't really had the opportunity to have a heart-to-heart with my dad, but we do text a lot. He wants to fly me down to Florida, but I don't know how I feel about that. I'd rather he come here just in case we have a falling out or something. Then all I gotta do is close my door to all the bullshit. If I'm in Florida, I can't do that.

"I have to write the alphabet," Royce said pulling me from my thoughts.

"And how is that going?" She shrugged, showing me her paper. It wasn't that bad. She just needed to follow the lines more.

"It looks good. Do you want me to show you how I write?"

She nodded eagerly. I took the pencil from her hand. The little assignments that she brings home everyday are always so interesting to me. I don't remember anything school-related from when I was her age, but they learn so much. I find it so wholesome to just be there for her when she needs help. We practiced writing some of the alphabet, and when it was time for bed, I tucked Imani under the sheets in her bed. I was still a little self-conscious about my sleeping habits, so I made her start back sleeping in her own room.

The rest of the night went by fast. It seemed as if I blinked and it was the next morning. I dropped Royce off at school and went to work. I had this couple that didn't really know what they wanted. They called me and gave me a budget and some ideas to run with, but that was it. I mostly did paperwork, no showings today. I got off earlier than usual, so I decided to go get something to eat.

"It's just me," I said to the hostess.

"Do you want to sit at the bar or at a table?"

"The bar is fine," I said. She walked me over to the bar area and I picked a random seat. There weren't a lot of people, which was great, because I wanted to eat my food and go. I looked at the menu for awhile until my waitress came.

"What would you like to order?"

"Can I get the classic burger?"

"Sure. You want everything on it?"

"Everything except tomatoes."

"Ok, and it comes with either a regular side of fries or loaded fries."

"I'll take the loaded fries."

"And anything to drink?"

"Oh umm...just a strawberry lemonade for now." The waitress nodded before leaving. I scrolled through my phone to pass the time. It might be weird, but I don't mind going places by myself; It's not awkward at all for me to just go to a restaurant, order some food, and sit down by myself. Even with Royce, we can go out to eat and just enjoy each other's presence. Which reminds me, I definitely need to make sure that I order her something for later.

"Do you want a drink?" Someone asked me.

"Oh, I have one already," I said without looking up.

"No, do you want a drink?" I looked up once I finally understood what they were saying.

"Oh, my bad," I laughed.

"Something strong maybe? Or you like a more fruity drink? Maybe something bitter?" The bartender questioned.