Part 2: Chapter 36

"When someone tells you happy belated birthday, they know that it's not your birthday. Belated means like late or like after the fact. Even though your birthday already passed, they still want to wish you a happy birthday. Does that make sense?"

"So, when my cousins or my nana or someone says happy birthday to me, they're trying to be nice."

"Right, because you're birthday isn't today. It was on Monday, but they didn't get the chance to celebrate with you then. When you went skating, that was just something for you to do with your friends from preschool. Today is for you to have fun with your family."

"Okay, I get it."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"I want you to have as much fun as you can because we leave tomorrow. We probably won't be back for a long time. I need to get you back on schedule for school and I have a job. It may not seem like it, but I have to work," I laughed to myself.

"Why?"

"Why do I have to work?" I asked. She nodded yes.

"Umm, to pay bills, to buy food, and to make sure you have everything you need in life."

"And dolls?"

"Yes, and to buy dolls, but I bet you'll get a lot of gifts today. And when you get gifts, what should you say?"

"I will say thank you because I should always be grateful," she responded back to me. I smiled softly at her through the rear view mirror.

"You're so smart."

"No, you're smart!"

"I try, but I'll never be as smart as you," I teased her. She made the cutest sound. I often get a kick out of making her blush. She does this thing where she hides her face in her hands and stays that way until the attention is off of her. I turned my focus fully back to the road and left her alone. We were almost at the indoor jungle gym. Everyone was waiting.

We pulled up right on time, and when we made it inside, the man at the front desk gave us our wristbands, some no-slip traction socks, and my receipt. I already paid for everything when I made the reservation, and I even got a party package that covered like eighteen people. Once we passed the entrance, I was in awe. This place looked even better in person. The whole inside of the building was the playground. It was an obstacle course where you enter on one end and go through all of the different levels, before finishing on the opposite side of the building. This shit was dope.

"Wow mommy," Royce jumped beside me.

"Can I go play?" She tried pulling away from me. I get it, she's excited, but we need to go to the private room first and greet everybody.

"In a few minutes."

After following the guy's directions, I opened the door to the private party room. As soon as we got in, everyone blew confetti at us, shouting happy birthday to Royce. She clung to me in excitement, damn near wrapping her whole body around me. I wiggled around so everyone could see her trying to hide. Royce had the biggest smile on her face. Some of her cousins around her age ran up to us. I gently pushed her in their direction so she could get away from me and go mingle.

"Hey best friend," Briana said hugging me.

"Hey Briana."

Robyn was next. She gave me warm hug. What really surprised me, or rather who, was Ashanti. Me and her weren't the closest, but I acknowledged her as a friend and every now and then, she would call me up and we would talk for a few hours. Sometimes I would call her as well. I know she has a lot on her plate now, so I really appreciate her for coming.