Part 2: Chapter 48

"Stop calling me. I want nothing to do with you," I slammed the door as I got into the car.

"I just want to talk."

"About what!?" The nerve of this fucking woman. There is absolutely nothing we need to talk about.

"Can we meet up?" She asked.

"No. Just leave me the fuck alone," I said.

"Asha!" I hung up. I then blocked yet again another number. Fuck. Why won't she just leave me alone. She said all she had to say the last time we spoke.

I was about to make a quick call when my boss's name flashed on the screen. I quickly took a deep breath and answered it.

"I'm coming. I had to—"

"I think you just sold another house," he spoke up in excitement.

"I did?"

"Why you sound so disappointed?" He asked.

"Oh...nothing. I'm just feeling a bit off today. But, that's exciting news. I really wasn't expecting offers so soon, and on the first day."

"I'm not surprised. I hired you to represent my company for a reason, and you're doing a damn good job at it."

"Thank you sir," I smiled lightly. His compliment made me feel a little better.

"I'm on my way inside," I said getting out of the car.

"Ok. See you soon." I hung up and closed the door. I then walked up the street to where I was hosting the open house. I put on my signature fake smile and straightened my pantsuit before walking back through the front door.

I'm honestly just ready to go home.
.....

I closed the deal on the house earlier than expected, so I spent the next few days visiting Earl in the hospital. Every time I go, it's always hard seeing him so pale and sickly. We spend most of our time talking. Sometimes we play uno, and sometimes he's too weak to even lift a finger. Maggie has caught me crying a few times, in which I always start apologizing. She says she understands, but I just don't want her to see me break down like that. I definitely don't want her to think that I pity her, or that I pity their situation. It's just really fucked up, and I hate that Earl is in the hospital and not out here doing the things that he loves to do, like running the diner.

I looked over at Earl as I sat on the cushioned chair. A nurse was checking his vitals. He had fallen asleep a while ago, so Maggie made a run to her hotel. She was back within fifteen minutes. We sat and talked until visiting hours were over. Then she walked me out.

"Asha, you don't have to come tomorrow. You've been coming for three days straight. I know it's a lot," she said.

"No, I want to come. I'm not busy at work, so this is the perfect time for me to visit."

"But, you have a child...and you're young. Earl and I are older, and if you're unlucky, old age often comes with illnesses. Sometimes it's inevitable. I don't want you in this depressing environment everyday when you don't have to be. You've done enough."

"I've done nothing Maggie. I've not done nearly as much as Earl has done for me."

"You don't owe him anything." We interlocked arms as we walked through the hospital. We got into the elevator and Maggie pushed the first floor.

"That's not true. I honestly owe him everything." At my words, she then turned to me and frowned.

"You know about—"