Part 1: Chapter 18

They kept me in the hospital for a total of six days, and I had not a clue what was going on in the outside world. The day Earl and his wife arrived at the hospital, they brought me my phone, my charger, and a few of my belongings from my locker at work. I called my school first and told them of my absences and that I would make up the work when I got back. Since I had an actual doctors excuse, I wasn't penalized for the days. The hospital told me that I received the aid that I applied for and my final itemized bill for the six days I stayed, were taken care of. I was beyond happy and grateful. I had no clue where the last minute donations came from, but it was a blessing. Unfortunately, the donations were anonymous, so I will never know who helped me.

Earl and his wife, Maggie, stayed with me my entire duration at the hospital. They took turns making sure I took my medication and that I was eating and that I constantly had enough fluids. For two people that chose to not have kids, they were very nurturing. I felt loved the entire time I was around them.

I still had somewhat of a bruise on my cheek, but the swelling was gone. Oh, and about that. As soon as I officially move into my new place, which will be today, I will take a trip to planned parenthood. I don't need to see an OB/GYN. I already know what I want to do. I had six long days to think about it.

I was in the backseat of Earl's car as he drove me to my house. It was mid day, my mom should be at work and Kennedy at school. This was the perfect time for me to grab my shit and leave. I would get the heavy stuff later. I wanted to make this visit as quick as possible.

I turned my phone on for the first time in days. I had over a hundred missed phone calls and text messages, as I expected. Half of them were from my mother looking for her money. I guess it's that time of the month again. But this time, I ain't giving her shit. I'm done. I put my lil LG cricket phone up to my ear and listened to one of her many voice messages. All she kept asking was, "where is my money?" Not once did she inquire about where I been. I bet she hasn't even notice.

I called Derek up because I knew out of everyone, he would be the one to stay calm and not bombard me with a million questions. He was shocked to hear from me, but I told him that I was in the hospital for a few days, but I'm out now. I also told him to pass on the message to everyone that I was fine. I would be back at school tomorrow.

The last person I called was Dashawn. He immediately went off. Like, he sounded absolutely furious. I had to hang up. Instead, I just texted him a long paragraph. I told him to meet me at the new place.

When Earl pulled up at the house, I sighed in relief when no cars were in the driveway. "I'll be real quick. I just need to grab my bags."

I quickly got out my keys and made my way to the door. I opened it wide and made a beeline for my room. It was still the way I left it. That means my mom ain't try to go through my stuff yet. But, I'll be out of here before she does anyway. I dragged two bags of clothes out of the room and rolled them down the stairs. I grabbed my fragile bags and actually carried them down the stairs. I then got my bag of shoes and threw them down the steps. I looked back at my room. It was completely empty except for my dresser, bed frame, box spring, mattress, and nightstand. I then went into the bathroom and it was also completely empty. I left absolutely nothing behind.

Satisfied, I closed my door.

I lugged everything to the car two at a time. It took a minute, but I did it. Earl helped me put everything in the car. Then we left.

When we arrived at my new place, Dashawn was already there. "Hold on. I'll be back in two secs," I said getting out of the car as soon as it came to a stop.

"D, before you start yelling-"

"Naw, Ion know what the fuck you think this is! Why weren't you answering yo phone!?"