Part 3: Chapter 59

Asha took off down the hall once the elevator opened. She searched around the pediatric unit for room number 332. When she didn't see it at first glance, she got the attention of a nurse walking in the opposite direction of her.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for room 332."

"It's just down this hall and to the right. It's at the very end," the nurse said. Asha continued in the direction she was already going until she made it to suite 332. She swallowed past the lump in her throat and wiped her sweaty hands on her pants. She took several deep breaths before shaking off her hesitation and slowly pushing the door open.

The first thing Asha noticed was Penny and some guy she didn't recognize. The guy stood looking out the window while Penny was now standing from her seat by the bed. Asha continued into the room, not paying either of them any more attention. Penny quickly shuffled out of the way as Asha slowly made her way in.

"I've been keeping an eye on her," Penny said. Asha nodded, her eyes immediately locking on Imani's small frame once she made it to the bed. After so many days, Asha was finally laying eyes on her daughter. But the whole situation felt too surreal—almost as if Asha was stuck in another dream. She instinctively pinched herself just to make sure.

"She's been out of it ever since we found her this morning," Penny said.

"Is she okay?" Asha asked, her eyes never leaving Imani.

"Yes, for the most part."

Asha reached out and caressed Imani's cheek, careful not to touch any of the oxygen tubing around her nose. Asha was trying to keep it together, but seeing her daughter like this made her heart hurt.

Penny grabbed Tony and they left the room to give Asha some privacy. And as soon as the door closed behind them, Asha buried her head into the bed and cried. She didn't want to disturb Imani, but she also had to let it out. Her tears were a mix of relief at finally being able to see her daughter alive, but also immense guilt for what had happened. Asha could only imagine what Imani had to endure this past week, and because of that, Asha was afraid that Imani would never be the same little girl from before the abduction. Asha was also afraid that Imani would forever resent her for what happened.

"I'm sorry," Asha mumbled, trying her best to compose herself. "I'm so sorry."

Asha slightly jumped when there was a knock at the door. She said nothing as someone walked in.

"Ma'am?" Asha lifted her head at the unfamiliar voice.

"You must be the little one's mommy?" Asha only nodded, lip quivering as she forced herself to talk.

"Can you please tell me what's going on?" Asha asked.

"Yes of course." The nurse went to go stand on the opposite side of the bed.

"My name is Jess and I am serving as your daughter's nurse for the duration of my shift, and everyday that she is here. Imani was initially sent to the ER, and since she was brought in unconscious, our first priority was to make sure she didn't have any life threatening injuries, especially to her head. We took her vitals, did some standard blood work, and we assessed her ABCs: airway, breathing, and circulation. We also did a physical survey, checking for bruises and any open wounds or lacerations. Unfortunately, we found some bruising around her wrists, a lot on her back, and some others in sporadic places around her body. We did a CT scan for her head and her back. Most of everything came back fine, but we found some irregularities in her blood work."

"What kind of irregularities?"

"Things that would indicate high levels of stress and dehydration, but nothing too major. We also gave her an oxygen tube because she was having troubles breathing. We think she might have been exposed to large amounts of dust, mold, smoke, or chemical fumes—all of which are not good for a child her age."