Part 2: Chapter 42

Three more weeks went by and I officially had a housemate, at least for a little bit. I still haven't moved some of Royce's things out of her room, so Remi was confined to the couch until further notice. This wasn't ideal, and a pain in my ass, but I agreed to it. My dad practically shoved Remi into my arms stating that this would be good for her. I didn't doubt that, but we shall see how this all plays out. I didn't mind the extra help though. Like right now, I'm leaving soon to surprise Briana for her birthday. I got everything all planned out, and Remi is going to be my babysitter so that I don't have to rush back.

I already ran everything by Imani to make sure that she felt comfortable being with Remi. She didn't mind. She enjoyed having Remi around, especially when she got bored of me.

There was a knock at my door. "Come in," I said.

"Oh, perfect timing. I need your opinion on something," I told Remi. I pointed to the bed where I had three outfits laid out, shoes and all.

"Which dress?"

She walked closer to the bed and eyed each of the options.

"This one," she pointed. "And with those shoes."

"Are you sure?" She picked the black dress.

"Positive. You can never go wrong with black."

"Ok, if you say so." I folded up the dress as neatly as I could and placed it in my duffle bag. I stuffed the heels in there as well.

"Is everything okay? Did you need something?" I asked her. She shook her head no.

"Should I run through everything again just in case?"

"No, I understood the last ten times you told me."

"Okay, just checking. I need to leave in the next five minutes or I'm going to run into traffic."

"Is your friend's party tonight?" She asked.

"Yes, and I'm already going to be late, which is fine because she doesn't know that I'm coming anyway." Remi nodded and I slipped on my slides.

"Are you sure you'll be fine," I narrowed my eyes at her. "Like, you know that's my baby out there Remi. If something happens to her while in your care, we will have problems."

Her eyes widened and I smirked, "No pressure though. I trust you," I told her. I did trust her enough to watch my kid. These past few weeks Remi has been like the coolest roommate. We talk a lot. I often catch her observing me, not in a creepy way, but more so in admiration. Sometimes she'll come in my room to just talk, and she even said that she likes the freedom that comes with staying with me. I just hope that she doesn't try to take advantage of this new freedom.

"Imani is my niece. I would never let anything happen to her."

"Ok," I said standing up and grabbing my bag. We walked out of my room and down the stairs. Royce was watching something on TV.

"Royce, give me a hug real quick." She jumped up from the couch and ran over to me. She gave me a brief hug and I bent down to kiss her cheek.

"Be good. I'll be back as soon as possible."

"Ok," she smiled. She didn't seem upset at all. I then turned my attention to Remi.

"Be good Remi. We've been roomies for almost a month now. I trust you," I pointed a harsh finger at her.

"I have everything under control."

I grabbed my keys and told Royce that I loved her. Remi locked the door behind me and I damn near sprinted to my car. I needed to hurry my ass up. I jumped in the car and sped off. Just like I thought, I ran into traffic, which slowed me down by thirty minutes, but my ETA was still good.