Epilogue- Andrew

Andrew

"Merde," his sister said as she stubbed her toe on the couch.

Andrew sat at the kitchen table, eating his toast, while his mom enjoyed her morning coffee. They had agreed to go to Disneyland as a family to celebrate Nicole's 22nd birthday and spend some more time together.

It had been 8 months since Andrew left the United States and knocked on his mother's door. Her soft brown hair had been pulled back into a low, messy bun, her white cardigan thrown over her lean frame. She had not changed.

"Be careful, " his mom said.

Nicole grunted. "Où est Felix? He's always late. We'll be late."

"Disneyland is open the entire day, Nikki," Andrew mocked.

"Shut up and shove your face with that toast. We'll have to spend the day waiting around if we don't leave. Maintenant."

It had taken them a while to accept Andrew didn't want to talk about where he'd been for the past 8 years. They had not been happy but they did make an effort to get to know him all over again and after so many months in his own bed with Spider-man comforters, he was happy.

"Any news on that job opening, Andy?" Mom asked.

"Not yet."

"We're not talking about work today," Nicole chastised.

Andrew was too old to take his baccalaureate and he didn't want to go to university, so he had spent his days looking for a job that paid enough for him to get an apartment in his name in the next couple of years.

"We know, today is all about you," Andrew rolled his eyes.

Nicole pointed a finger at him. "Oui."

But no matter how at home he felt, he was still keeping secrets, lying. He had told them he was kidnapped the night Maya killed his dad. And that was a lie he would take to his grave. It was better this way. One lie to protect them from a whole string of lies and pain. Andrew had buried them deep down and allowed them out only at night when no one could hear.

The doorbell rang.

Nicole jumped from the kitchen chair and raced through the open-plan living room, stubbing her toe again and ending up on the couch, instead of in front of the door.

"Nicole, you're an adult," mom said.

She groaned in protest.

Andrew laughed, getting up and crossing the distance to the front door in three large steps."Bah, Felix, il est grand temps que tu—" the words died in his throat.

A girl stood at the door, her face covered with a red baseball hat, a pizza box in her hands. White braids hung over her shoulders.

"Cassandra?" Andrew said. It came out as a whisper.

She looked up at him and his heart stopped. Those blue eyes he dreamed of every night, looking into his soul, so determined and fierce. She was really there.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was coming, but I don't have much time," she said. "I need your help."

_____

Hey there!

Okay, now we're officially at the end of the book. I love this little snippet, it was so much fun to write after all the death scenes and broken hearts. I hope you liked it.

Let me know your thoughts. What could Cassie be doing in Paris? Why is she contacting Andrew? Will we ever know?

Maybe. And maybe not.

Happy writing,

Sara