Chapter 50- Cassandra

Cassandra

Her throat closed up and she began sinking backward, her chest aching and vision blurring. Andrew's arm snaked its way back around her waist and she resisted the urge to shove it away. The nerve he had to show up and play the hero after all he'd done. Shame flooded her as she realized that she had allowed the guy who betrayed her to save her in a fight once again.

"Cassie?" Scott stepped toward her, his arm extended like he expected she would take it without a second thought.

Her shoulders rose and fell with her labored breathing. "I am not her sister," she said, forcing the fog away creeping into her vision.

"I thought it would be better you didn't know until the time was right."

Bill snorted in the back. "Wait, wait. You call this the right time?"

"You know I'm right, look at me," he pleaded, his eyes glistering.

"I'm nothing like her. She's a murderer." Cassie shook her head, gripping onto Andrew's hand tighter. Scott was close enough to touch her now. She flinched away.

"I'm sorry. I should not have kept this from you. I should have said something more,"

She pushed back tears of physical pain and shock. He was the one who told her she was alone. He had punished her when she asked about her parents, made her fight harder than others. All she's ever wanted as a kid was to belong. He told her it wasn't possible. Now he was telling her she belonged with the woman she came to kill.

"No, you shouldn't have. Because we're not related."

"If we all stop this, I can explain it all." He glanced at Majesty who was still frozen in the same spot. Her eyes checked Cassie up and down, from the white hair to the chunky boots on her feet before they moved back to meet her eyes. She looked confused but just as hopeful as she had when Cassie lied about Maddison the first time.

"Stand down and release them" Majesty announced.

"No, you're not going to trust them, are you insane?" a man shouted, shoving Chloe away from him and pointing the gun in front of him. "They've tricked you, they work for Snakehead."

Andrew let out a low growl.

"You're not the one in charge, George. And I do believe you owe me some answers," Majesty said, barely sparing him a glance.

"All of this so you'd stand down? They're lying to you. She's not Maddison but she does know where your sister is. Phi is hiding her and you have to fight them to find her." The gun in his hands shook as his aim landed on Scott. "You're lying," he said, his eyes widening.

Cassie pushed Andrew's hand down, straightening, her ribcage protesting.

Scott squared his shoulders. "Put the gun down, George."

But they've all been in the game for long enough to know he wouldn't.

"No!" Cassie and Chloe both yelled as they threw themselves towards Scott and George respectively.

Two gunshots rang out.

Chloe screamed as George's body fell to the ground, blood dripping from his forehead.

Majesty lowered Cassie's gun that she still had in her hands. Her face was stone cold, jaw tight with anger.

Cassie had pushed Scott aside, George's bullet lodging itself into her arm and sending her to the ground. She held back a scream, the stabbing pain in her ribcage cutting her breath short. Voice muffled in the distance, calling for her, shouting names.