Chapter 32- Bill

Bill

He shot up from the seat on the couch when the front door opened.

“Martina!”

Pablo ran to his sister, wrapping his arms around her, whispering Spanish words of comfort and wiping her newly-emerged tears.

Bill’s eyes were locked on Chloe. He noticed two things off the bat.

She was wounded and she was high.

“You have a little something on your arm,” Bill said, heading to grab a first aid kit.

Chloe let out a laugh, wincing, no doubt from the bruises that had started appearing.

He grabbed the supplies from the bathroom, returning to the living room where Chloe had taken a seat on the couch.

“Let’s see.” He pulled the sweater over her head, leaving her in a short-sleeved shirt.

He inspected the wound. “It’s just a graze, you’ll live. Whoever shot you was obviously as high as you, given their aim.”

Color drained from Chloe’s face.

Bill didn’t give indication he noticed her reaction.

“I’ll clean it now. This might sting a little. I’ll do it on 3. 1, 2,” He pressed the gauze to the wound.

She hissed.

“3.”

Diana wheeled into the living room, gasping when she saw Chloe. “I told you not to get hurt.” She smacked Chloe’s left shoulder.

“That’s not what you said,” Chloe choked out. She hadn’t even looked at Diana, her eyes pleading for Bill’s silence.

“You’re done,” he said, nodding.

She breathed a sigh of relief.

Diana’s fingers intertwined with Chloe’s and gave her hand a light squeeze. She didn’t pull it away.

“Can someone please explain what is happening?” Pablo asked.

Him and Martina still stood near the door, huddled together like scared cats.

“I’ll take Chloe to bed, she has to rest. Diana can you handle it from here?”

There was a number of reason why Bill couldn’t handle Pablo right now. One was because he was tired and the other was because he was far from being a person to explain things to stupid people.

Diana nodded, releasing Chloe’s hand.

Bill grabbed the redhead’s forearm, pulling her towards the bedrooms.

“Take a seat, children,” he heard Diana say, as he shut the door.

“I can explain,” Chloe said as soon as Diana was out of earshot.

Bill raised his hands. “You see Chloe, I don’t care.”

Her shoulders dropped.

“You might’ve gone through shit, but getting high during a job— that’s a new low. You could’ve messed everything up.”

“I know, I’m so—“

“Don’t apologize.”

She opened her mouth to say something but Bill shook his head. He had not been expecting this.

And it made him angry.

He groaned turning around and slamming a fist onto the mattress.

Chloe stumbled back, her arms in front of her face.