Chapter 47- Chloe

Chloe

With a sigh, Chloe returned to consciousness. Her head spun as she moved it on the pillow, so she listened to the footsteps on the tiles and muffled voices. She didn't want to get up from bed yet. Irene would wake her if she was late for work. She leaves for school early anyway.

A beeping would break the silence every couple of seconds and Chloe wondered if it was an alarm clock. But she didn't own one. God, she was sleepy.

Another beep brought her closer to being awake. She let out a sigh, focusing on her breath and how soft the blanket felt. What happened?

"I think she's coming to," someone said. "We can send for you once she does wake up, you really don't need to wait."

"I'll alright, thank you." This voice she recognized but struggled to put her finger on it. It brought on a feeling of safety but it was stern, determined.

Chloe opened her eyes slowly, giving them time to adjust to the light coming from the window. She was in Phi's hospital wing, her bed surrounded by curtains and Cassandra sitting in a chair at her feet.

The memories flooded back and her eyes filled with tears. "I am so sorry," she choked out, terror washing over her.

"They said it was an accidental overdose," she said, face emotionless.

Chloe sat up in bed, fighting off nausea. "I never meant-"

"For me to find out? It worked."

Chloe plucked at the duvet in her lap.

"How long has this been going on, Chloe?" Cassie asked, her voice carrying a softer edge to it.

"In New York, when I had to follow Martina, she went to a night club and I, guess I couldn't stop myself. I didn't want to remember it. I was sad."

Cassie nodded, moving to sit on the bed closer to Chloe. "You should have come to me."

"We had a mission. It didn't matter."

Cassie clicked her tongue. "Of course it mattered. I wouldn't have put so much pressure on you if I knew. I'm not cruel." She looked up at Chloe.

"I'm sorry. Once I started, it kept going. Sometimes I needed to forget and others I wanted to focus and I guess the more I took, the less effective it was. And then you said you handed over the drug and," She panted, running a hand through her hair, a panic attack coming on. "After I saw how much damage it had done and it was my fault we didn't get it in London, I don't know what I was thinking."

Cassie put a hand over hers. Her palm was warm compared to Chloe's cold, clammy hands. "It was never your fault, Chloe. When I said in New York that I saw myself in you, I had meant every word. I hadn't done it to gain your trust or make you feel pressured." She snorted. "I did because I care about every person on this team."

The look on Chloe's face made her offer a sad smile and add. "Even Andrew."

"I am so sorry," Chloe said. "I know I messed up again and I'll do anything I can to fix it, but please, believe me, I never wanted this."

Cassie looked at her. "I know you didn't. And I don't want you to fix anything," she said, her voice becoming more strained and heavy. "I want you to tell me why."

Chloe stopped breathing.

"You were hurting. Why?"

Chloe exhaled, her lungs running out of air. If she told Cassandra about Irene and about what she truly wanted, she would hate her. But she couldn't keep it in any longer.