Chapter 4- Diana

Diana

"Hey, Lee."

Lee looked up from his laptop, lowering it and then looked at the girl in the wheelchair. She smiled. "You need to focus on the real world sometimes," she lowered the tray of food on the round table in the cafeteria. It was lunch time at Phi and Diana was starving.

Sun shone through the glass wall to Diana's left, illuminating the crowded room. She let out a sigh, enjoying the early September sun. Her limbs were numb from the morning workout. "You think they'll let us skip practice and go sunbathe?"

Lee hummed in response, not paying attention to what Diana was saying. They both rarely attended field practice, but Diana was more consistent. Lee preferred to sit behind a computer screen, which she never understood. Why would you voluntarily want to sit somewhere for so long and be passive in your work?

"Lee!"

"Sorry, Di. I'm almost done." He pushed the glasses further up his freckled nose.

"What are you doing anyway?"

"Working on a new firewall for my computer and making sure my IP address is well-hidden. It's a tad time-consuming."

Diana moved her black curls away from her face, tying her hair into a messy bun. "Sounds fun," she said flatly.

Lee shrugged. "I can stop anytime but it might mean no more illegally streamed Doctor Who."

Diana raised her hands in surrender. "By all means, please continue."

"Okay, almost," Lee closed his laptop. "Done."

"I can watch Doctor Who now?"

He nodded.

"Awesome. But anyway, I heard about a new mission coming up."

Lee took a bite of his sandwich. "They have those all the time."

Diana grabbed a French fry off her plate, popping it into her mouth. "Um, no," she said her mouth full and a finger raised in the air. "Nothing like this." This one she had heard directly from Nurse Patty when she went to pick up a new lipstick that morning. It was the newest of new rumors.

"Can I have one?" Lee pointed to the French fries. Diana sighed dramatically and pushed them to the middle of the table.

"You're such a pig." Diana leaned in closer. "There's a new person coming here today. Word is, it's Agent Cat Eye."

Lee laughed, causing a few kids from the surrounding tables to glare. Hearing laughter in Phi was always strange. It wasn't a common occurrence, not since Majesty started picking off their agents. It was two years ago, the same year Diana's mom died. "Agent Cat Eye died. Her entire team was wiped out. Don't you remember?"

"Not all of them," Diana murmured.

But she knew what Lee meant. Squad 13 had become a legendary number around the training base. Diana had never spoken to any of them, but she'd seen them. It had been enough to make her wonder how they could ever fail. They were the best of all of them, even outranking some of the adult Squads from the other bases.

"I don't know. But you must've noticed the mentors getting worked up." Diana no longer had a mentor and neither did Lee. They had finished their training and were waiting to be placed on a team. Given the number of deaths in the past weeks, it would happen soon.

Lee shrugged. "The mentors are always worked up. They take care of screeching children and have Snakehead on their arse every day."

Diana laughed, causing a few more heads to turn. "True. But," she put up a finger. "You have to be optimistic."

"Yup. Optimism. Sounds like me."

"What? Do you not want to be on a team?"

Lee shook his head. "It's not that, Di. I do want it, but there's no guarantee we'll be chosen. An' besides, are you sure you want to go into field work?"

Diana lowered her French fry. "You do know I can still fight, right?"

Lee laughed. "Yeah, of course. Silly of me to assume otherwise."

Diana forced a smile. "Tell you what. I bet you desert that we'll get a call by tonight."

#

"Yes!" Diana threw her hand up in the air two hours later as she wheeled out of her former mentor's office. "I told you," she sang when Lee joined her, his face dumbfounded. They had been called to meet their mentors and had gotten great news, as far as Diana was concerned. She was chosen to join a new team.

"Okay, fine. You were right." Lee put his arms out, as if to tell Diana to calm down.

She spun her wheelchair in circles, laughing when she stopped.

"You seem way too excited for it to be healthy."

Diana raised her eyebrows. "Sometimes, no matter how much I like you, I want to kick your negative ass."

Lee checked her out top to bottom. "Well, too bad."

Her mouth hung open. "You'll see. When I get out of this thing, I will make you eat those words, Lee Hoffman."

He leaned on his hand, smiling. "I'm sure you will. But, as of now, let's focus on surviving this mission, eh?"

She didn't pay attention to her friend as she wheeled towards the elevators.

"How did you know they'd choose us?" Lee asked, giving Diana a side-eye.

"I choose to trust people to make the best decisions."

Lee snorted. "And putting you on a team was the best thing they could've done?"

Diana put a hand under her chin. "Well, naturally. Have you seen me?"

~*~

Here's chapter 4 told from Diana's point of view. I have mentioned before that this is a 5 point of view story, so just a head's up-- we've got three more character to introduce!

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and if you did, leave a vote and comment telling me how you like Diana. Feel free to leave any predictions about the characters and the story and don't hesitate to post on my wall or PM me if you wanna chat or have an urge to yell at me if I miss an update. 

Have a lovely weekend and I'll see you next Friday! (with a longer chapter)

 Happy writing,

Sara