Chapter 27- Chloe

Chloe

Chloe walked just far enough so her footsteps wouldn't be heard. It had gotten dark and she was becoming cold even with a sweater on. Martina wore a gray sequin dress and heels, her arm looped around a guy's forearm. She couldn't see his face and didn't recognize him from school. Thus, she kept her distance. Better safe than sorry.

It had been a few hours since she left Diana in front of the mall. In that time, Martina had gone out to dinner, to a bar for a drink and was now heading the opposite way of her apartment. Chloe checked her watch. It was almost midnight and she was starting to feel tired from a full day of walking.

She was glad nothing was happening as she was still under the impression of the day's events. Taking Diana to the mall was the right thing to do. Seeing her face lit up when she'd entered the building warmed Chloe's heart. Happy was all Chloe wanted to make her feel. Even the fact that she'd had to steal the money form the other people from the mall didn't bother her as much. She had done it for Diana.

They crossed the street at a junction, stopping in front of a club. Chloe paused, creeping into the shadows only slightly but subtly, so they wouldn't look her way. Martina fixed her ponytail, laughing at something the guy said. His build was typical for a bouncer. Wide shoulders, bulky and no doubt an iron fist. Chloe had encountered enough of them in her lifetime to know.

He disappeared inside the club and Martina followed suit. Chloe gulped, stepping into the light. Her eyes weren't focused on the traffic light or the traffic itself. She fumbled through her pocket in search of a fake ID. She stopped around the corner to pull off her sweater and adjust her cleavage. The entire ordeal made her feel sick, but to get inside, she needed to look the part. With a lace top on and a pair of ripped jeans, she looked slightly more like a party-goer. She shoved the sweater in her bag.

The bouncer at the entrance stopped her. "ID?"

Chloe handed him the ID and he looked at it and then back at her. Chloe threw on a well-practiced seductive smile.

He let her through.

The music was audible from the street, but inside the club, it was a bunch of loud sounds trying to overpower each other. It smelled of sweat and the colorful lights made it hard to navigate even with Chloe's heightened senses.

She moved slowly, beginning to sweat. Why would Martina be in here? She knew parties were her thing but the people in the club looked to be older than her and Martina by about a decade and mostly...men.

A few of them gave Chloe smirks and nods as she passed, but more eyes her with a sort of animalistic lust. She looked in front of her, painfully aware of every exposed inch of her skin which was now covered in goosebumps despite the heat.

The music changed and the lights swung over the dance floor, leaving the rest of the room in the dark. Chloe shuddered like she'd been thrown in a black hole. She wished to put her back to a wall, make herself feel somewhat safer. But she remained in the middle of the floor.

Men and women were seated at the tables and counters, watching the dancing crowd. Waitresses brought them drinks. Chloe swayed on her feet when she noticed the way they were dressed. Silky fabric, too-tight and revealing and more skin exposed then there should be at a waitressing job.

A person bumped into her, sending her stumbling forward. Chloe's breath caught in her throat. She was trapped in the mass of people and Martina was nowhere to be found. Her breath shortened. Her hands shook and she found she could almost feel the metal pole under her fingers, while the spotlights blinded her and the her hair fell into her eyes. Redheads never needed wigs. They were always in demand.