Chapter 17- Chloe

Chloe

Stepping into Phi's campus grounds was much like stepping into an alternative dimension. The rays reflected against the buildings and people paced on the green grass, all uniformed and all the same. It was like a distant world when compared to London. And it felt like ages since Chloe had last been here.

Her stomach turned. Meet at the common room, Snakehead has asked to see us, Cassandra said that morning when she knocked on her door. Chloe wasn't deaf to the rumors around her. When Snakehead gives and order, he expects it to be done. They had no drug, no antidote and no teammate. And it was all her fault.

She rose from the dorm building stairs, where she had been sitting in the shade since sunrise and turned go to do the common room. As usual, she took the stairs and before long found herself on the first floor. The common room was all white tables and red arm chairs. Chloe took a seat in an armchair in the corner, while Diana stared out the window. They were all out of it in their own way. She heard Diana crying in the shower the night before, even thought there were no traces of it now. She could have sworn Bill darted across the courtyard a little after midnight while she was sat by her window, lost in thought. But that could have been her imagination. She hadn't really slept.

Bill was reading sprawled out on the couch while Andrew bounced his leg, checking the time.

"We need to go," Cassandra said, not bothering to take a seat. She was like a wind compared to their stillness, getting looks as she strode inside like she owned the place.

Chloe's stomach turned again. The air was heavy with uncertainty while they walked outside. A lot has changed since she had come here the first time. She had become a murderer.

She didn't notice when they crossed the distance or when they took the elevator. She had never seen Snakehead before, but if you had a name like that, you couldn't be good natured.

The room they entered had a large mahogany desk taking up most of the space. It was T-shaped, the table branching out at the front of the room. They followed Cassandra's lead, taking a seat in the leather chairs. Chloe quickly glanced around, breath stopping when she saw a diamond chandelier hanging above her head. Portraits of people she didn't recognize hung on both walls all the way to the front of the room, from where a glass wall overlooked the campus of the base. They were right in the center on the building so they could see all the other buildings, such as the dormitory and the training base. Chloe gawked at the panorama of Charlotte leaning slightly when a figure clocked her view.

"I see you've made yourself comfortable," a male voice said.

Chloe straightened back up and looked in front of her, the voice ringing bringing fear into her bones.

Cassandra uncrossed her legs and rose, chest out and head high as if nothing was wrong.

A few people entered the room. Three guys, one with a beard and auburn hair and one with sunken eyes, balding and sleep deprived. The third one had his hair in a low ponytail, tattoos marking the skin on his arms. The woman in between wore her raven hair tied into a high ponytail as she swung her hips. Ellie.

Chloe locked eyes with her. She hadn't gone to her mentor at all since they came back the night before.

"Where's the drug, Agent Cat Eye?" the man asked. Much like with Majesty, Chloe didn't need to know what he looked like to know who he was. He was in his fifties, bald, scars running down his neck like someone had tried to slit his throat down the middle. He had a snake tattoo running from his temple to the back of his head.

"We don't have it." She didn't flinch when Snakehead slammed his hands on the table, but Chloe did, her heart beating.

Cassandra continued to talk. "Majesty knew were coming. She had cut off our comms and tricked us by allowing us to get the wrong briefcase."