Chapter 6- Bill

Bill

Bill sat alone at his lunch table by the window, ignoring the world, his head buried in Sigmund Freud's Psychoanalysis, music filling his ears.

His breathing was still a bit frantic given the suicide sprints he had to endure as a part of his personal program. Scott, the mentor of his former team, had created the program for Bill specifically.

"To improve your endurance and speed and keep your mind occupied," he would say every time he was about to give Bill hell.

Bill put his legs up on the chair next to his, taking a sip of his water. He couldn't wait for lunch to be over. He used to love that he could spend the break with his friends, but even Phi wouldn't tolerate skeletons in the cafeteria. Not that he had any skeletons to bury.

A redheaded girl caught his eye. She seemed to be staring directly at him.

He'd seen her around. She was one of those people who got private mentors. She must be good at whatever she did.

Bill had grown up in Phi, getting familiar with every aspect of the many skills they had to master. Shooting, stabbing, spying, drugging, making things explode- he'd done it all and was pretty good if he could say so himself.

The girl looked away, hiding her face with her hair.

Bill smirked. He was used to the stares. People found him weird, some were even scared of him. It kept them away and stopped them from asking questions and Bill wanted just that.

The chair under his feet disappeared. His legs plopped down with a thud.

"Do you mind if I borrow a chair?" Chase asked him, a smirk on his face.

Bill scowled. "Go ahead."

He took a seat.

"I said borrow a chair, not join me for lunch," Bill said.

"Are you getting angry? Because I can understand that. Do you want to punch me?"

God knows Bill did want to shove his foot up Chase's ass, but he wasn't that person anymore. "Back from the mission already? And with all of your limbs? Surprising."

It was Chase's turn to scowl. "The mission was a piece of cake."

"Oh yeah, I'm sure. Killing people is your specialty."

"At least I have the balls to do it."

Bill folded his arms. "What do you want, Chase? Why talk to me? Don't tell me it's to re-kindle our bromance because that train has long passed."

Chase rose up and smiled, wrapping his arm around the back of the chair.
"I was just making small talk, thought we could go for a beer later."

"Fuck off."

"You really should be taught some respect."

Bill rose up from his chair, making a few heads turn. "And who's gonna teach me? You?"

Chase grinned and Bill knew what was coming. "Well, I would say your brother, but you know already."