Chapter 30- Bill

Bill

"So, you don't think I'll walk again?" Diana asked.

The two of them were the last ones left in the apartment after Andrew and Cassie had left and Bill had taken up the courage to break the news about his research on conversion disorder.

"I think you can, but no physical exercise will prompt it. I can show you things we can do to strengthen your leg muscles again, but conversion disorder is a mental thing."

Her shoulders fell but she held eye contact. "But I've tried to figure it out and I just don't see what's blocking me from walking."

This was the hard part.

"You saw your mother die and then your best friend was killed. You can't tell me you don't feel the guilt. I feel the guilt of Lee's death every single day."

She set her jaw. "But all I want to do is walk so I can help," her voice broke. "I'm useless like this."

"Do not say that. Ever again. We all pull our weight around here, you included. Don't underestimate yourself."

She shook her head. "Thanks. But I'm gonna need to work on that for a bit. You should get to Pablo's."

"You will walk when you're ready." Bill checked the time. "We'll continue some other day," he promised. "Also, for real, if you were useless, I'd probably be the first person to tell you that."

"Thanks," she snorted.

"Anytime," he said, grabbing his jacket and running down the stairs to the lobby. The night sky was clear, perfect for a party and a couple of drinks. He couldn't wait until it was all over. Maybe then Cassandra would talk to him. He gave the address to the taxi driver, leaning to look outside.

Diana worried him more than she should. He should be focusing on tonight's mission but his thoughts kept going back to his friend in a wheelchair. Maybe he was right to do so. If she didn't overcome her demons, she would truly be unable to help.

By the time the car stopped in front of the building, Bill had about ten missed calls from Chloe. He knew he was late but he couldn't control New York traffic jams.

He ran up a couple of flights of stairs, not wanting to waste time. The music was perfectly audible even from 6 floors below. When he reached the 8th floor, he was winded. Chloe waited for him by the front door. She paced, hand stopping near the door, before turning away.

"You good?"

She jumped, letting out a laugh when she realized it was him. "There seems to be a lot of people in there."

Bill took her hand in his. She stiffened, but he kept his grip light. "We'll go in together."

"I don't think I can," she whispered.

Tonight seemed to be a night he played a part of Bill, the bloody counselor. He swallowed, looking around. "I won't leave your side unless you want me to."

She pressed her lips together. "What if something happens and I don't manage to get Martina out in time?"

"When you killed in London, you did it to protect. When you conned your way through a hierarchy of a company, you did it to prove our target was human even at the cost of your own life. And ours, but we won't get into that." That earned a snort from Chloe.

"We haven't had anything serious go down and we have no reason to believe it'll happen tonight either. If it does, I'm glad you'll be there to fight with me."

Chloe pulled her shoulders back. "Okay."

"You ready?"

"No, but I'm still gonna do it."