Chapter 45- Diana

Diana

When her mother was alive, things had been much simpler. She'd do what she was told, work 12 hours a day, and then go to bed. She used to think she hated routine. And to an extent, that was true. She didn't like being limited by timetables and rules. One thing she had failed to grasp in the grand scheme of freedom she longed for was the uncertainty.

When her mother died, it had been a slap in the face. She used to think she could take on anything in life. Diana had held onto that belief, even after she was wheelchair-bound. She had held onto it by the tips of her fingers until it proved useless. She couldn't do much other than type on a computer or set off bombs. She couldn't protect her friends. Her role in the team was passive. Give directions. Make sure your team gets out alive.

She had failed the most important one. They had taken Bill.

It was early morning and while the rest of the people in Phi had gone about their everyday activities, Chloe and Diana waited for Cassandra at their usual table in the common room.

"I wish I could've done more to help him," Diana said.

Chloe took her hand, their fingers intertwining. "You did help."

"It's not enough," she snapped. She bit the inside of her cheek, exhaling. "I keep telling people it's going to work out. I keep saying how I'm going to do more next time. I never do. I can't."

She let out a laugh, looking up at the ceiling. "I couldn't save my mom, I couldn't save Lee or Bill." Diana gave a small smile. "I wish I could fight."

"Why would you want that? There's plenty of us already fighting."

"You don't get it, Chlo."

"Then explain it."

Diana hesitated. This wasn't the time to share her feelings.

"Di."

"I used to hate how much my mom made me work, but when she died I realized that all she wanted for me was to be strong and independent. I can't do that in this," she pointed to the wheelchair.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel passive."

Chloe thought about it for a second. Diana bit on her nail. She shouldn't have said anything.

Chloe kept her distance, her eyes locked with Diana's. "You helped me when I came here. You've put your life on the line for a girl you didn't know and her friend. You took care of Pablo and Martina. You spent nights watching that everyone returned safely. You went against Cassandra's rules when I asked you to. You did do something. A lot of somethings."

Chloe had inched closer to Diana. She could see the little freckles on her nose and the dots in her blue eyes. She cupped her face, placing a kiss on her lips. "I love you, you know that?"

Chloe stared at her, gaping. "Y-you do?"

Diana blushed. "You know what I meant."

Chloe cleared her throat. "Of course."

"Am I interrupting something?" Cassandra's voice echoed, making Chloe and Diana jerk away from each other in a less than subtle way.

"No," Chloe said at the same time Diana said. "Yes."

"Well, it's going to have to wait," Cassandra said, taking a seat.

Diana and Chloe shared a glance.

"Did you," she began carefully. "Did you suspect him at any point?"

Diana knew who this was going to be about. She could tell there had been a relationship forming between Andrew and Cassie since the first day. "I had no idea," she said.