Chapter 42- Andrew

Andrew

Andrew stood across from the clearing, leaning onto a black van, blinking and swallowing, trying to keep his voice steady. He had done it. And there was no going back.

"Jackson," Cassie said, her voice careful. "If you're in trouble—"

"No. This is my choice. This was what I was meant to do from the start."

"I don't understand."

He looked to the back seat where Bill lay unconscious. "I told them where Lee and you were in London, before switching the briefcases. I left Martina to go follow you because I knew nothing would happen to her. Majesty knew all of it because I had been the one to tell her."

Silence ensued over the comms and Andrew shivered in the cold. He should get going soon. George would wonder why he took so long to escape. He wouldn't like it if he found out he called to tell them the truth.

"Where is Bill?" Cassandra asked. There was distance in her voice like she couldn't process what he'd said. Or she didn't want to acknowledge it.

"Alive."

"I will find you," she growled.

"That's exactly what I want." He disconnected from the communication system, just as the building in the clearing exploded, smoke and fire erupting in the sky.

Andrew stood and watched.

When they returned from New York, he had gone to find George.

"You're still here," George commented, shutting the door to the training room.

"Now that you killed Maya," Andrew flinched at his words. He wanted nothing more than to smash his fist into George's face and keep doing it until he could no longer smile. Or breathe. "I have no reason to keep working for you. I'm done."

"You might want to take those words back, Agent Jackson."

He didn't. If there was a good thing to come out of this, it was that he could leave it behind and focus on helping Squad 6. The lying had worn him out. "Why would I?"

George raised his chin, giving a slow nod. "Because I know where your family lives."

"I don't have a family."

"Of course you don't. They think you're dead." His mentor cracked his knuckles. "Cat Eye has given you a lot of trouble."

Andrew nodded, his jaw setting. He thought back to the two of them sparring in New York and how she'd kissed him to win. He'd tried to get information out of her then, because if she can use him to advance, then he thought he could do it too. But she didn't deserve it. Not when she comforted him, saved his life when he got shot.

"Majesty wants to speak to Cat Eye. Make sure she survives."

"I'm done, George."

"If you want all your family alive, you will help me."

"Even if I agreed, she won't say anything if you take her," Andrew said, quickly.

George looked at him in surprise. "You have a better idea?"

Cassandra had survived, though Andrew had lost her among the trees like he'd lost himself among the lies. When Cassie tugged off her mask in front of Majesty, Andrew's knees almost gave out. Throwing himself to save her was a no-brainer. Only he no longer knew what had driven him to do it.

#

The line of CRV's killed their engine on by one, pulling onto a clearing. Andrew waited until a few guys left their cars before he followed. They had crossed the border up into Canada, his guess was they were near Toronto, but he could be mistaken.