Chapter 52- Andrew

Andrew

"You don't have to worry about your family being in danger anymore."

Andrew looked up from the plans sprawled around on the table. He had been studying them in the empty bunker room for the past week since he'd arrived at the M.Corp safe house. He'd checked all of Majesty's bases and studied the past missions where Majesty had attacked every underground club, private property, and 'client' of Snakehead's that she located.

"I know," he said, moving around some papers. 

George had worked on his own. He had no idea where Andrew's family was but despite knowing that personal connections are the easiest way to get someone to obey you, Andrew had fallen for it. It was a relief to realize Nicole, Felix and his mother would remain safe, but it left a hole at the pit of his stomach again. He wouldn't go back to them.

Cassie crossed the concrete floor, heels scraping on it, placing her palms on the table, putting weight on her uninjured shoulder.

"Did you speak to your sister?" he asked.

She flinched. "Let's not talk about that right now."

He hummed in response, his cheeks warming up at the thought about meeting her eyes. She was right to throw him out of the meeting.

"What would you like to talk about then?"

"What you did and why you did it," she deadpanned.

"I thought he was going after my family, my mentor, all of you. The whole time I kept trying to help which made it all worse and if had told you it wouldn't have made a difference."

"It would to me." She stepped closer to him, turning to look at the posters on the wall, board pins sticking out of places on a map blue tacked to the wall. "I wish I had put myself in a position where you trusted me enough to tell me, I can't change what happened. But I do forgive you."

He pretended to still be reading the papers, but truth was, he no longer had any idea what was on them. "Forgiveness doesn't seem like your strong suit."

"I'm not forgiving you because I want to forget it. I'm forgiving you for my own peace of mind."

Andrew gave a nod, joining her to look at the map. So many places in the world where people were still suffering. "I'm sorry I ruined this."

She huffed. "We could have been something, you and me," Her eyes met his. "But if I had to choose between love and family, I would always choose family. In fact, I did choose it."

Squad 6 had been his family these past months and he'd like to say he had always put them first, but he had not and it will remain with him as a regret.

"Chase told me I was lucky to have people who'd fight for me. Most kids in Phi don't have that. Bill also said something along those lines. I'm glad that somewhere out there you still have people who have no expectations for you to kill for a living."

Andrew's hand barely brushed against Cassie's. "Since when are you and Chase friends?"

She smiled. "We used to be more, but he realized he could do better than me."

"Can he?"

"Probably. Or at the very least, he could settle for someone who won't run without a goodbye."

It felt like a slap in the face and a glimpse into Cassie's most inner thoughts. She was like all of them. She had run, betrayed, deceived, she had been hurt and she had loved. But she had risen above it all. It was why he had fallen for her and why after all the things were said and done, she was a leader.

"Anyway," he cleared his throat, moving away a bit. "What did you do with the drug?"

"I had to give it to Snakehead. There wasn't another way to buy time to save Bill. But Majesty said she's got some we didn't destroy and it should be enough for us to match whatever Phi has managed to replicate."

"It'll be a bloodbath."

"It's the last thing we'll ever have to do if it goes according to the plan." Her voice emitted a glimmer of hope.

"We?"

"I thought you might want in." A smirk played on her face.

"Yeah, but Majesty—"

"Let me handle my sister. She doesn't get to order my people around."

Andrew's froze.

Cassie crossed her arms. "That is unless you don't want to be a part of Squad 6 anymore?"

He didn't wait, wrapping his arms around her waist and burying his face in her shoulder. "Thank you."

She winced. "My rib, Jackson."

He let go, smiling. "Now you know how I felt when I got shot and you were squeezing the life out of me on the bike."

She shook her head. "If you hadn't been so stupid, you would not have gotten shot."

"If saving you means being stupid, then yes. I was the dumbest person to ever walk the Earth."

She went stiff. "Yeah, another thing. Don't ever save me again."

"Why? Because the all-mighty Cassandra doesn't accept help?"

"No," she said, dragging out the sound. "Because the all-mighty Cassandra can't be responsible for another death."

Andrew gave a smile, but all he'd heard coming from her mouth was 'I care'.

"So, do you want to hear the plan or were you planning on running down the battlefield and hoping you don't run into a bullet?" Cassie asked.

He nodded. "Go ahead."

As she summarized the details of the meeting for him, Andrew brought all his attention on her words. Finally, he could say where his loyalties were. He was a member of Squad 6. No tricks. No lies. 

________

Hey there!

Happy Saturday! I hope you're all doing well. This has been quite a week for me, I must say. I've not had much time to do anything lately, which is why I spent my Friday night working late to get this update ready to go.

What did we think? A Cassie/Andrew discussion was long overdue? Are you satisfied with how they left things? What would you like to see happen in the last three chapters?

I'll give you a hint. Next week is the final battle. ;) Who's point of view would you prefer it to be in? Any ideas on what will happen?

Happy writing,

Sara