Chapter 9- Cassandra

Cassandra

Cassie exited the common room and turned past the elevator on the first floor of the dormitory, gliding down the stairs. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes striding through the hallways in a hurry to reach the training room. Her watched showed she had about 5 minutes to show up to the training room and get her team to work.

She had been working hard the past week to make Squad 6 ready to face Majesty people. She had paired them up, sparred with them, corrected their technique, but she couldn't imagine what might wait for them in the field and she didn't want to pretend.

"You look nice this morning," Chase mocked as he passed her.

She checked out his face, not surprised to the see that his nose was very much broken and the area around it bruised. She was taken aback to see that he also bore a black eye, which was not her doing. A dark thought slithered into her mind. Had Snakehead done something to him after their meeting? She hadn't seen Chase since she got to Phi but that didn't exclude the idea.

"You look dashing yourself."

Chase paused in his step, turning half-way. Half of his face was covered in darkness and Cassie's heart thumped, momentarily aching. "You can give my thanks to Bill for the black eye."

She let out a small sigh of relief, relaxing. "I will."

"Hey, babe," Mila said, wrapping an arm around Chase's neck and planting a kiss on his lips. She looked over at Cassie, her face falling back to serious.

Cassie raised an eyebrow at the public display of affection. "You do know you can't be in a relationship, right?"

In Phi, you weren't allowed to date a teammate. Or anyone else. Many people broke that rule, Cassie and Bill's older brother, Mike, being only two of them.

Chase snorted. "Like you'll tell on us."

"I might."

Chase gave an easy-going smile. "Are you jealous?"

"Oh, yeah. Very. I can barely resist the urge to throw myself into your strong arms." She rolled her eyes. "Don't get caught."

Continuing her stride for the training room, Cassie bit her lip. She didn't care for Chase the same way she used to but a part of her would always remember what they used to be. It was only human and not a trait Cassie admitted to having.

She entered the training room. "You haven't started yet? What are you waiting for?"

She settled in the corner to watch the warm ups.

"Let's see you shoot."

They took their places, each bullet ringing out loud and clear. Cassandra walked down the row of targets watching her teammates and half expecting to cringe at any second.

"You've improved," she said as Bill hit the center of one of the targets.

"Well you've been absent. I've had time to work."

She sighed, moving to the next person. They had an assignment that required her focus and attention. And if she was being honest with herself, talking things out with Bill was not at the top of the to-do list.