Chapter 24- Chloe

Chloe

One thing Chloe didn't expect when she entered Martina Gomez's high school the day before is to come back. She had gone in and nicked the girl's phone from the changing rooms during P.E. but hadn't had the confidence to answer when it rang so she hung up. Going into a high school building made every fiber of her anxious. School wasn't for people like her. No matter her acting skills, she couldn't fake being smart.

She kept her head down as she moved through the corridors, Bill's empty backpack thrown over her shoulder for show. She had on a soft pink sweater which was tucked into a pair of denim jeans and her red hair was loose, covering her earpiece and her face when needed.

Gomez didn't have enough drugs to supply Squad 6 with samples or rather, he wouldn't do it for fear that Majesty would find out and go after his family. Cassandra had made him sign a contract saying he'll deliver the drugs in two weeks time if they kept an eye on his children. Hence, Chloe had to come back.

She turned the corner, entering the science block, when she collided with someone. She fell, surprised. "Sorry, I'm so sorry," she said, a guy in a leatherman jacket looking down at her. He extended his hand and Chloe jumped to her feet, tucking strands of hair behind her ear and picking up the backpack. The guy lowered his hand.

"Sorry," Chloe mumbled, giving a small smile, her heart hammering against her ribcage. She had already manged to embarrass herself and it hasn't even been ten minutes.

She ran a hand down her face, taking in a breath, before knocking twice on the chemistry cabinet door.

"You must be our new student," the teacher said, giving Chloe a smile. "Come on over here. Would you like to introduce yourself?"

Chloe let go of the door knob, finding herself at the front of a classroom, with about twenty people looking at her. It was early morning and sunshine shone through the windows, illuminating the blank faces of students. In some other instance, she may have overlooked the gray eyes of the guy in the first row or the scrunched up nose of the girl on the right, but today was not that day.

"Uh, I'm Chloe. I moved here from Sweden with my parents almost a year ago." She was hyper aware of her accent and prayed she hadn't made a grammatical mistake.

"You'll love it here, Chloe. You can take a seat anywhere you'd like," the teacher said, walking over to her desk.

Chloe seated herself beside an Asian girl with glasses, careful not to invade the girl's personal place or disturb her. She cast a wary glance, looking for Martina. She didn't appear to be in the lesson. She checked again for any sign of the olive-skinned brunette. She cursed herself for letting Diana persuade her it would be a good idea to go to school and meet Martina there. Chloe liked the option of shadowing her.

"You'll never get close to her that way," Diana had said.

"Why do I need to get close to her? I can watch her from a distance."

"Well, if something happens, you need to be there right away and how are you going to do that if you're across the street, standing in the dark? She'll never trust to come with you if you need to get her away from danger."

As usual, Diana had a point.

"You can do it, c'mon Chloe," she had said.

She did have point, but sometimes she overestimated Chloe's abilities.

When Chloe conned people, she either wanted to rob them or use them. She couldn't be invisible and emotionally detached if she had to make friends with the person.

"Today, we'll be studying about binary components of the periodic table. I'll have my assistant give out spreadsheets. These are just to see how much you remember from last year. I'll give you a few minutes to complete them and then we'll go on."