Chapter 25- Cassandra

Cassandra

Her eyes shot open in fear and she jumped into a sitting position, making herself dizzy from the sudden movement. The images of blood and death disappeared and reappeared as did the black spots in her vision, replaced by sun rays. Morning already? She groaned, trying to remember when she had fallen asleep. Her back ached from spending the night on the couch and the angle at which her neck had been made it stiff.

Something fell with a thud, interrupting the silence like a gunshot in the night. Or a nightmare.

"Motherfucker," Bill said. "Are you going to make me shit myself every morning?"

Cassie turned to look at her friend, squinting at the scene. Bill stood hunched over the kitchen island, coffee dripping from the side and onto the floor. The mug was rolled over to the side and began rolling off the island.

Bill stopped it with his hand.

"There weren't many coffee cups to begin with, so please don't break any more of them," Cassie said, rubbing the side of her head, trying to get the sudden headache to go away.

"I wouldn't break a single one, if you people would stop sneaking up on me," Bill said, grabbing a cloth and throwing it over the puddle of coffee as it that on its own was gonna do anything.

"You're a trained assassin. How much damage can a scare really do?" Cassie lifted her arms and arched her back, stretching like a cat.

"I'll have you know, fear can cause a person to suffer a heart attack." Bill slapped the coffee-infused cloth to the sink, pouring more coffee into his cup.

"As if you're going to have one at 19."

"I might." He opened the over-head cabinet, rummaging through the stacks of ramen noodles.

"What are you looking for?"

"Advil. There it is." He closed the cabinet, popping two pills into his mouth. "May I ask what in hell you're doing in the living room?"

She looked at the notes sprawled around the floor and the glass coffee table. How had he not noticed her when he entered? "I fell asleep."

"Well the beauty sleep worked," Bill said with a smirk.

"I will break your nose."

He sipped on the coffee, humming what sounded like an apology.

"Should you be drinking that while hungover?"

"Wouldn't be my first time," he murmured.

"What?"

"Nothing." He threw a questioning glance at the papers.

"I was polishing up on the plan," Cassie replied.

"In the middle of the night?"

"Yes." Andrew had been helping her with the basics but she had returned to work when he'd gone to bed. She could afford to be sleep-deprived, but she couldn't afford to lose people due to a miscalculation. She rummaged through the piles, a cold cup of tea from the night before still sitting by a pile of scrunched paper.

"So, what is the plan? You didn't really get to explain it last night." He looked away. "Sorry."

She shook her head. "No, that's fine. But Gomez doesn't actually have the drugs to give to us. He signed some sort of contract with Majesty to deliver a thousand vials per week."

"And? One bottle won't make a difference."

"They're made manually because the technology is delicate. They can't produce enough to deliver and give to us now. If he does and has a shortage, then Majesty will go after his family."