Chapter 41- Chloe

Chloe

Being out in the dark, knowing people are watching you was similar to walking home alone at night, knowing someone was following you. Scary with an unpredictable ending. Without a gun and her senses numbed down with drugs, Chloe itched to slither away into the darkness and disappear.

Once Cassie said so, she would sprint to the trucks that had just arrived and set up the explosives that currently sat in a small backpack next to her. She swallowed hard, her stomach restless. She remembered her brother and how he'd drag her by the arm inside a room full of men and leave her there. Kom en, Chloe, he'd say in Swedish so they couldn't understand. This time she was heading into the center of the fight. She needed her ghostly silent steps and light frame to keep her well hidden.

I can do this. I have to. For Lee, for Diana. For me.

She wouldn't hide anymore.

The first gun fired and like it marked a start of a race, Chloe sprinted in the darkness, sliding to her knees by the first out of three trucks. She tried to ignore the body of the truck driver as she fumbled with the wires. Two tried to escape and the third was behind the concrete walls, likely dead as well. But there wasn't much Chloe could do for them anymore. If she wanted to help, she needed to do her job.

"Diana, I- I don't know how to set it up," Chloe said into her earpiece, looking around to make sure no one was near her.

"We've practiced it many times, you can do this," Diana's words came as reassurance.

"I think one of the wires broke off. Din javla."

"Chloe, you can do this. Focus."

Diana couldn't help her from a few miles away, but a familiar panic gripped Chloe's chest as the explosives slipped through her sweaty palms. She pushed down a sob. It was their only chance to get rid of this damn drug and if she messed it up, she would never be able to face Cassandra again. She had trusted her with this task. You're quick and silent, you move like a ghost. You're the only one that can do it, she had said.

She trusted her. And Chloe needed to learn to trust herself.

The explosives clicked into place and Chloe sighed, rushing to put the next one. This one took less time. And the next one even less.

Her head spun as she rose to her feet and gripped the side of the truck to steady herself before looking around and dashing towards the next truck. Her hands moved almost mechanically and her breathing had evened out.

She checked her watch, finding she wasn't too late. But she needed to move on to the last truck.

By now, shots were ringing from inside of the building and she looked up for a moment, sending a thought to her teammates who were fighting to buy her time.

As she reached to stick the next pile of explosives, she felt a pull on her hair.

Chloe fell back, the air getting knocked out of her. A man hovered over her, his knife drawn.

They say the most brutal murderers use knives. They allow them to watch the life disappear from their victims.

Chloe grabbed a handful of dirt, throwing it into the man's face. He wasn't going to get the satisfaction of watching her die. He flinched back and she used the opportunity to grip onto her taser.

The man convulsed, falling to the ground and Chloe kicked the knife from his hand.

She looked back at the building. The doors were now open and a few bodies littered the ground. She took a deep breath, getting down on one knee and sticking the last bundle of explosives underneath the truck. People were everywhere now and they would stop her if she didn't move, but a red-haired woman raced out of the building and their eyes met. Chloe froze, her grip on the taser tightening. She took off running.