Chapter 51- Diana

Diana

Diana listened to Majesty's heels click on the floorboards as she left the house, the deafening silence of the room becoming heavier. She watched Cassandra try to cover up her shaking hands, her heart clenching in sympathy.

"Before you say anything," Andrew said, moving slightly forward from his spot in the corner. "I am sorry."

"You better be," Bill scolded, massaging his wrists. There were very faint marks on them from what Diana assumed were rope of cuff marks. He looked fine otherwise, but a speck of doubt remained. Would he have been fine if they took longer than a week to save him?

"When I came to Phi, I had left family behind and George had used that against me to do his bidding. It doesn't change anything, but I meant what I said out there. You are more than teammates to me."

Cassie laughed, gripping her side and wincing. Chase laid a hand on her shoulder, his eyes shooting daggers at Andrew.

"Get out," she said, her back to Andrew.

Diana thought back to how she had treated Chloe not so long ago, how mad she still was. But she would forgive Chloe one day. Forgiveness was not Cassandra's strong suit.

He bit his bottom lip, letting out a shaky breath and heading for the door. He stopped once he reached it, pulling something from the inner pocket of his jacket. "Bill?" he called, tossing him something. Diana frowned, a curl falling across her face.

Bill caught the dagger by the sheathed blade, color draining from his face. "You took Mike's knife?"

Andrew opened the door. "I kept it for you. I knew you'd need it."

And with that, he left.

Bill leaned back into the sofa. "You can't just tell him he's forgiven, can you?" He asked Cassandra.

"I can forgive him, but I don't know if I can trust him," she said. "And I can't forget what he did."

Bill cleared his throat. "I think he may be one of the only people you can trust to have your back in this fight, Cassandra and you know it. What you do with that information is your choice." He put his hands on his knees. "That said, since when the fuck is Chase a part of the deal?"

"Since they found an actual male to replace you," Chase retorted, moving hair out of his face.

"Ha, ha," Bill said, his face expressionless.

"You think we should join her?" Diana asked, bringing the conversation back to the relevant topic.

She had always believed people could be good, but as she waited for Cassandra to answer, there was a sickening feeling settling in her stomach. She was about to side with the woman responsible for Lee's death.

The rational part of her knew that none of this would have happened if Snakehead hadn't lied, but somehow, to Diana, it still felt wrong. She was about to overlook the death of her best friend, the person who had been her only friend, the one who had cheered her up and kept her company until late at night looking at sitcoms on a hacked network, hidden under the covers.

Her breath hitched.

But he would want her to make the right choice and as she sat surrounded by her team, Chloe by her side, Diana's mind had been made up. Lee would want her to be happy, leave this life behind and she couldn't do that knowing she was leaving hundreds of others to the same faith as Chloe or Irene's. She trusted people to make the best decisions.

This may not be the best one, but it is the right one.

"As I said, I don't want to be the one to decide this. If we fight, we fight together," Cassandra said.