Chapter 49- Bill

Bill

He lay on the bed, staring up at the ceiling. A new day meant Majesty would try to get under his skin again and he'd have to pretend he wouldn't listen. He shouldn't want to listen. She had been the cause of many of his troubles.

But she hadn't killed him, hadn't harmed him. Somehow though, he carried less resentment towards her than he did towards Phi.

He thought back to Naomi. His thoughts trailed that way often when he was confused. With her, he had been different. Less angry, less confused, and less broken. She had made him pancakes the morning after he'd fallen asleep on her couch. Granted she threatened to stab him with a butter knife but if he ever showed up drunk on her doorstep again.

Guards gathered in the yard, pulling out their weapons. Bill looked away, unsurprised when gunshots went off. It wasn't unusual for them to compete and shoot down birds. Better birds than bodies.

Would he ever get to see her again? He wondered if she had quit working at the bar already and gone to prepare for the police academy. There was a part of him that fantasized about going to medical school and settling down, finding someone. More often than not, it was Naomi he settled with.

If someone had told him he would be stuck in a room thinking about a random bartender from New York City, he would have laughed. Now he let his thoughts wander to places this life wouldn't let him.

More shots sounded from the outside. Bill rolled his eyes.

It was followed by yells and another annoying shower of bullets. They were farther away, sporadic this time.

Bill perked up. Someone was firing back.

He jumped off the bed, creeping up to the window and looking out. The guards were shooting out into the trees, yelling orders at each other as they fell to the ground one by one. Even from the second floor of the house, he couldn't see who was shooting from the trees, but he wasn't about to sit in a locked room and wait to find out.

Excitement grew inside him as he reached the door, pausing. There was no way he would escape if there were still guards in the house.

But he had to try. Whoever was attacking wasn't going to spare Bill if he fell into their hands and he had a feeling he didn't have long left with Majesty either if he kept vexing her.

"Oh, God," he muttered, stepping from the door and rolling his shoulders back.

Then he broke into a sprint, bouncing off the door like a ping pong ball, his shoulder aching.

The doors remained in one piece.

Bill swore, massaging his shoulder, scanning for anything to use to break them down, but there was nothing.

"We'll take him," someone said from the hallway, and keys clinked, the lock clicking open.

George pushed the doors open, Steve, the guard, standing behind him, a gun at his side.

"You couldn't have walked quicker and unlocked the door before I tried leaving a Bill-sized hole in them?"

"Get out," George ordered, shoving Bill into the hallway.

Why would George care if their attackers got inside the house? Bill was of no use to them. "Unless they are here for me," he whispered.

"What was that?" George asked. pointing his chin in the direction of the stairs leading to the bottom floor.

Bill didn't know if more guards were around but taking on the two of them for the time being, he may be able to manage.

"I said," Bill said louder, straightening. "Have you considered a nose job? Your nose looks a little crooked. Don't answer that. I know it's expensive and you don't have the money. If you broke it though, that would justify the surgery."