Chapter 7- Cassandra

Cassandra

She sat in the red armchair turned to the glass window overlooking the campus. It was strange to her that after two years she was back. The base in North Carolina brought nothing but good memories that turned worse with each passing day.

Like it was yesterday, she could almost see the five people she loved most sitting at this round, white table, going over plans to steal, assassinate and erase whoever Phi needed to disappear. Little did she know that one plan would blow up in pieces, erasing the only ones she loved.

Phi was where Cassandra had grown up. It was like an orphanage. With a few exceptions. These people never looked for families to adopt them. They taught the kids to tear families apart. As a private army, Phi was often paid by the U.S. government to do anything they wouldn't want pinned on them. In exchange, the government allowed Phi to have their base in North Carolina as well a few other smaller ones across the country.  
"Cassandra, what are you doing here?" Her mentor’s voice rang through the room.

The room wasn’t silent, but she’d been so lost in her head, Scott’s voice interrupted the deafness she’d made for herself. She didn’t want to remember, but they were the ones that helped the human in her resurface. Every time.

"Spending time at home," she mocked.

Not that she’d ever felt at home anywhere after the death of her team, but she was too stubborn to admit that she’d forgotten about their meeting.

"Don’t be like that," Scott said, tapping his foot. She never knew her parents, but Cassandra was damn sure Scott could replace them both. He was the one who practically raised her, taught her everything she knew. How to aim, shoot and kill. He’d taught her to be a good soldier despite her protests and aggressive outbursts.

Cassandra rose from her seat, straightening as her back cracked. “Whatever you’re planning to make me do, you can forget about it.”

She was shot, sedated and knocked unconscious. She had a concussion and bandaged shoulder. She wasn’t about to listen to whatever brainwashing bullshit they were planning to feed her.

“I haven’t seen you in years. All I wanted was to talk before we meeting with Snakehead.” His voice sounded sincere and a pang of guilt hit her like a tennis ball. 

“I ran because I didn’t want to see you or any of this for that matter.” She wasn’t the same person she was 2 years ago. A lot has happened since then. She had learnt not to give into her emotions.

People turned to look at her and she could hear their whispering. She had become the star of the show— dragged back through the front door.

Nobody was welcomed here with open arms after leaving, because nobody ever left. These kids were the definition of loyal and when she thought about it, Cassandra understood. Where else would they go?

Snakehead has given them a home and food and people to talk to. They would all most likely be in worse situations if it weren’t for Phi.

When she had left, Snakehead had told everyone she had died, as a pathetic attempt to cover up the fact a 15 year old had outsmarted him. The hell he was going to give her for that was just beginning.

She moved down the hallways, heads turning left and right. She heard people comment on her appearance.

The white hair was new, more or less. She dyed it when she left Phi. It made her feel stronger at first. Later, it became her trademark— the last thing people saw before they died was a white-haired, blue-eyed girl.

Fitting.

Everything was perfect in Phi’s main base. Floors to ceiling. There was nothing that could indicate that the people roaming the building were being trained to shed blood in favor of the highest ranking official or of the highest ranking official, depending on which party offered a higher pay.