Chapter 16- Bill

I am so sorry this update is late, I would like to not make excuses, but school has been tough. And I am also sorry for what you're about to read. 

__________

Bill

"How is he?" Andrew asked when he entered the living room. It was nighttime outside and the rest of the team were sitting under the glow of a single lamp, their faces reflecting fatigue.

"He's as alright as he can be. Diana's with him and I made sure she knows to scream if they need help," Bill said, plopping onto the couch next to Chloe and putting a hand over his throbbing head, shielding his eyes from the light. Cluster headache, stress headache, migraine, absolute hell on Earth, call it what you will, but when you're attempting to stop a person from bleeding to death, you will get one.

The tension in the room lessened and Cassandra let out a sigh. Bill peeked from under his hand, noticing that Chloe didn't react to what he'd said. She blinked in surprise when he nudged her.

Still no reaction.

"Alrighty guys, who wants to watch some TV and play a board game or two?" Emma asked, carrying in a box of board games and a tray of sandwiches on top of it.

"I'll do whatever if you pass the food," Bill said. He had spent a good portion of the evening tending to Lee's wounds. Being a nurse without proper equipment made him not only stressed but also very hungry. He stuffed an egg and ham sandwich in his mouth in one go, much to Emma's surprise and moaned. "So good."

Andrew took the remote off the coffee table for Emma to put down the box, but Cassie plucked it out of his hand and turned up the TV. Bill had never been interested in news. He learned that when it comes to news, one of three things is always true. They are either fake, dumb or people don't believe them. And they're always ugly.

But what caught his attention wasn't the reporter in a gray tweed suit, spewing lies in front of a camera. It was what was behind her frizzy red hair that made Bill stop mid-chew. He could see brick and marble gone black and the blue and red lights of police and ambulance shinning in the background. People ran in and about, shouting to each other and stretches made trips in and out of the hotel, black bags on each.

He looked at Cassie, half expecting her to look at him and give some sort of clue about how she felt, but he had overestimated her emotional response and underestimated her poker face. She simply crossed her arms, hiding her thumbs under her armpits.

"According to the witnesses and the survivors of this horrific event, over 20 individuals in had drawn guns at each other inside the hotel lobby. They had used the guests as human shields before fleeing for unknown reasons. Soon after that, multiple bombs had been set of in the basement. We are waiting for a confirmation from the police, but it seems likely that these individuals are a part of a newly emerging terrorist organization."

Bill grabbed another sandwich of the tray, hoping it won't be his last. "This looks bad," he said.

"It doesn't look it, it is."

Bill jumped, whirling around in his seat. Damon was stood beside the arm rest of the sofa, watching the TV over Bill's shoulder. Before he could make a remark on personal space, Peters appeared in the camera frame.

"I couldn't tell where the shots and explosions were coming from, so I hid. People were screaming and I was sure I was going to die. They discovered me as they were running away but I managed to escape them after a fight. I send my condolences to the people who had lost someone in the terrorist attack today. The people who did this are truly demented and I have all the faith the authorities will catch them."