Chapter 38- Diana

Diana

"This is never going to work," Diana said, dropping back into her wheelchair.

Bill knelt in front of her, his bright eyes finding hers. He seemed more determined to get her to walk than she did sometimes. But she wanted it so badly.

"We've made progress, Di. You'll do it one day."

If you don't walk within a year of having CD, you never will again, apparently.

"And what if I don't?" she whispered.

Bill grabbed a tissue box off the table and handed it to her. It was early morning and the common room was still empty as people were either out on the fields or training. Diana and Bill had been there for what felt like hours.

"Diana, you're just scared. We've talked it out a million times. You need to let the fear go. Until you do, we should keep trying."

She and Bill had been talking during their time in New York. She had told him about why her and her mother had fled India and she had confided in him about her mom's death. He told her it was the trauma keeping her in the wheelchair, but Diana hadn't been able to break through the fear. Every time she tried to walk all she could feel were her limp legs and the struggle her arms had when supporting her body weight. She was helpless against it. She couldn't save her parents. She couldn't save Lee.

"I think we should take a break," she said.

He said that exposing her to what walking again would feel like may help her combat the struggle. Thus far, it hasn't worked.

Bill scoffed. "Do you want this or not, Diana?"

She looked up at him. "More than anything."

"Then, don't give up. We can work through it. We have made progress."

She could feel her legs more these days, they weren't fully numb. Bill had shown her exercises to do whenever she could, to start getting some strength back into her muscles, but even then, she hadn't taken a step.

She didn't want it to be true, but maybe she was destined to stay in a wheelchair forever. Many people do it and they do fine in life. It wasn't the end of the world even if she doesn't get up. Many people can't.

But I can. At least she thought she could.

"Okay," she said with a no, holding onto Bill and laying a hand against the wall.

She rose.

"Good," Bill murmured words of encouragement and advice in her ear, but she didn't hear him. She could do this.

Her feet were on the ground, the carpet bristles soft underneath her toes. She imagined herself walking on them. Step by step. One foot then the other.

But no matter how much she tried, how much she willed her legs to move, they wouldn't.

Pretty soon, she was exhausted. She slumped back down.

"It's okay, Di. It takes time."

But she didn't feel like she had time. They were setting out on the mission in two days and she didn't want to feel useless again. "I know," she said.

Bill squeezed her shoulder. "I'll go get something to eat. Wanna come?"

She gave him a smile. "No, it's alright."

He nodded, leaving. "Don't worry, we'll get you up and running."

She cracked a smile at that. "I think I'll go out for a bit. I've got something I promised to do."