Chapter 10- Diana

Diana

Lee's face lingered in Diana's peripheral vision, his face illuminated by the table light."Are you okay, Di?"

She ignored him, keeping her head low and mixing chemicals together, her thick black brows furrowed in concentration. Better to make things explode than to explode.

The laboratory was where Diana spent most of her time. It was situated in the main building, at the very end in the right wing of its U-shape. It was close enough to the dorms so you didn't have to walk far to work, but also away from the offices and conference rooms in the left part of the building, so the sounds of failed experiments wouldn't be heard.

The floor was tiled with scarily white tiles and all of the tables were linoleum and screwed into the floor. The shelves were fixed into the walls and the chemical elements were on the opposite side of the room to the weapons and explosives. It had all been a recent change, implemented after an accidental explosion. It wasn't even close to what it used to be, but Diana still saw tables on wheels and wooden shelves when she came here.

She enjoyed trying out new explosives and mixing potions together. She may not be a kitchen witch, but the amount of explosive material and wires spread out on the linoleum table in front of her gave off an impression she ought to be a witch of something.

"Diana, you haven't said a word since lunch."

Silence. Lee sighed, moving somewhere behind Diana.

"Hello, E.R., I have a chatter box here and it's out of chatter."

Diana swallowed hard, stirring the mixture until it began to bubble. It was harmless and only made some smoke, but she had to occupy herself.

"E.R., I think my chatter box is trying to kill me. Will call later."

Diana watched as smoke rose from the bottle, filling the lab with a putrid smell, which she didn't find so awful anymore. She turned to Lee, finally breaking when she saw his face. His nose was scrunched up in disgust, his double chin on display.

She exploded in laughter, her throat tight and tears beginning to blur her vision. The laughter was nothing like her usual vibrating one. It was choked and strained, her chest tightening as she battled the weight on her chest.

"There we go, I knew you couldn't stay serious for long." Lee's face was lit up my a toothy grin. He wore the pants of his Squad uniform but he had taken off his jacket, leaving him in a grey T-shirt that matched his eyes.

Diana sniffed and wiped the tears away, swallowing hard. She smiled back at Lee. "I think your E.R. jokes are way out of line, Hoffman."

"Well, at least I can joke."

Diana rolled her eyes, taking in an exasperated breath, calming her breathing.

"I know you feel like crap but don't let it get to you. Cassandra's been toying with all of us."

Diana sighed, looking sideways at the smoking mixture. "I'm not."

Lee hummed accusingly, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"She's so," Diana let out a screech. "I bet Bill Collins doesn't even tell TNT apart from C4, I mean honestly, I've been blowing stuff up for years. This was perfect for me."

Becoming an A-list assassin was all Diana ever wanted. Her mother had pushed her to work hard to be the best at every activity. After her death, Diana had focused on pyrotechnics. She wanted to control explosions, give herself the freedom to see the outcome of destroying.