Chapter 21- Diana

Diana

Diana bit her upper lip, waiting. She looked out of the dining room window, wishing she could see Chloe. She should have never agreed to let her go in there alone. She shouldn't have gone behind Cassandra's back, but when Chloe mentioned the antidotes, all she could think about was Lee.

He had been the first person to talk to her after her mom's death and had been there for her like no one had. He had been a true friend. She never admitted to herself, but deep down she knew he looked at her as more than a friend. She didn't acknowledge his feelings, hoping they'd go away. And now he was gone.

But, was her wanting to know why the antidote didn't work worth risking another life?

"Chloe?" she whispered, put off by the sound of her voice. "Did you find anything?"

The static in the comms disappeared, indicating Chloe had heard her. But she wasn't answering.

"I'm leaving. Disable the security please."

"Did you find anything?" Diana asked, beginning to type.

"Is it down?"

"You have 3 minutes. Hurry," Diana said

She heard the clicking of heels and then Chloe spoke. "What are you looking for?"

Diana frowned. "I'm not—"

"Is it this one?" Chloe asked. "It must've fallen out of your pocket. Yeah, no problem."

Diana waited, hearing nothing but footsteps for the next couple of minutes.

"Di?"

"Yup."

"I got it."

Diana threw her head up in relief and sighed. "Yas. You know, Chloe, you're quite good at this whole bullshitting your way through life, you know?"

"Funny."

"I'm just saying, it's a compliment. I got to hear you speak a proper sentence, bullshit or not. Confidence looks good on you."

"You can't see me."

"Maybe not, but that doesn't mean it's not true."

"I'll be back in a bit."

Diana's heart dropped at the subject change. "I'll be waiting."

She took out the ear piece, closing the laptop. She listened for any sign of Bill being awake. With a sigh, Diana put her feet on the carpet and grabbed the kitchen counter, rising from the wheelchair. She closed her eyes, forcing herself to take a step forward. Come on, she thought. Her legs were fine. It was all in her head.

She hadn't bought into it until she felt helpless. She had worked her whole life not to feel lost and hurt. Her mother had been like that since she left Diana's father after he started exporting weapons from India.

She had loved her dad and had always felt safe in his arms, like any child should. She dropped back into the wheelchair, swallowing a lump in her throat. He may not even be alive. She was so young when she they left India that she didn't even remember his face. But she remembered his arms and she knew how happy she had once been. But he got into drugs and guns. It had ruined her family.

She rose from the wheelchair again, letting go of the counter. She won't be helpless. She will take down whoever she needed to save lives.

The joy wasn't lasting as her legs gave out and she tumbled to the ground like a broken puppet. Diana wiped the sweat off the side of her face, gripping the counter again.