Chapter 29- Andrew

Sorry the update is late. In my defense, it's nearly 4k long and the content will justify the delay. Enjoy!

~~~~

Andrew 

"Anything on Maddison?" George asked.

Andrew stood in the middle of the street, cars zooming past him, honking at each other. He stood leaning on his motorcycle, toying with the visor on the helmet. He hadn't spoken to George since they came to New York. He hadn't told him about the antidotes or that he hadn't stopped Diana from figuring out Majesty had made fake ones. If George found that out, Maya would die.

He had asked himself the question many times over the span of the previous weeks. Why is Maya so important to him?

In Phi, things were done out of interest. Had Maya saved him from his father only to use him, like George said? Had she ever loved him or was it an act?

He had come to realize it didn't matter. She had killed his father and took Andrew under her wing, for whatever reason. She had saved his family from abuse and poverty. She didn't want Andrew to side with Majesty and she didn't ask to be saved. It was Andrew's choice and that's what was so haunting about it. How this played out, whoever died during the fight— it would be Andrew's fault. He could go to Cassie, ask for help. Or he could detach himself from the team, look at them as a means to get to the end result.

But Maya didn't train a cold-blooded killer. And his mother didn't raise a liar.

Andrew looked up at the buildings around him. If George was with him now, there would be no way he could lie and get away with it. "No. I don't think Cassandra knows much about Maddison at all. She seems confused at the mention of her whereabouts. She says she's dead."

The week before, Andrew had willingly left his post with Martina. He knew Majesty wouldn't attack as Andrew hadn't told George about it yet. He had gone to the gym with one intention. Get Cassandra to talk to him about Maddison. He was going to use her.

When he saw her punching that bag, nearly hyperventilating, he couldn't do it. She was so graceful, like a vengeful angel, despite her iffy boxing technique, which he attributed to her bad mood.

"She's a good liar, Agent Jackson." There was a pause, "You didn't believe her words, did you? Because despite everything, she is a Phi assassin. She doesn't make intentions known."

"I'm working my best on getting information, don't you worry," Andrew said, his voice cold.

He pushed George's words to the back of his head, hoping to silence the doubt. Cassandra wasn't just a vengeful angel. She was a cat, sly and resourceful.

"We're watching Gomez and his children. They've been considering giving up the drug to us and fleeing the country. There's a party tomorrow night. The Squad will be around in case Majesty finds out. That's ideally when she wants to make a move."

"Tomorrow night, Majesty's men will take Gomez and his brats," George said. "She won't be pleased they tried to betray her. And you better ensure Cassandra doesn't die in that fight. She can still be useful."

"What about the others?"

"I couldn't care less."

"Got it," Andrew hung up and took out his ear piece, wishing to stop every contact with George. He climbed the bike and revved the engine, shooting off to the one place he knew he could find Cassandra.

#

"You seem nervous," Andrew said.

Cassie lowered the gun, eyeing the hole-riddled target. "No, why?"