Chapter 40- Cassandra

Cassandra

Cassie's heart was going to beat out of her chest. The wind blew the hair out of her face as the stared at the ground. She was standing hidden in the trees, about half a mile away from an abandoned building in Washington State where Majesty was supposed to take over the drug from Gomez's trucks.

Cassie gave the green light, nodding at Chase and 11 shadows made a mad dash for the darkest corners of the woods. The wind whistled between the branches, cold against Cassie's cheeks. She stopped once she reached the last line of the trees, inspecting the bare building with shattered windows. Her heart drummed in contrast to the silence. Usually, she would be grateful for the natural cover of the night and the trees. But, tonight, everything had a sharp edge to it. And if she could hide, so could her enemies.

She almost fired a gun when she felt someone's hand wrap around her foot.

"Fuck, Cassandra, you stepped on my hand. Move," Bill's whispering came through her ear-piece as well as from below her.

She lifted her foot off his hand and crouched down, muting her microphone so the others wouldn't eavesdrop. "What the hell are you doing on the ground?"

Bill placed a finger over his lips, pointing it forwards. "Over there."

Cassie looked out into the distance, the green light of the night goggles merging everything into a jumbled mess. She didn't see anything for a few seconds before her eyes caught a movement. "They're hiding," Bill whispered.

"Phi's people?" Cassie tried, although she knew everyone that had come with Phi. There weren't that many of them.

Bill snorted, making Cassie step on his hand again. "Ouch, fuck. No, it's not our people."

"Of course it's not," Cassie murmured, umuting the ear-piece. "Chase, they're expecting us. Go around and take them out when the trucks get here."

"You can't go in alone."

But Cassie wasn't done speaking. "Scarlet needs to position those explosives and she can't do it without a good distraction."

Blowing up a few trucks and killing a few of her people wouldn't really stop her, Cassie knew that ever since New York. The only way for this to end was for Majesty to die. She had to do it tonight even if she died along with her.

"Bill," Cassie said, keeping her voice low. "I need your help."

"When did you plan this?" Bill asked, his eyes glimmering in excitement as Cassie finished her brief explanation.

"It was the plan all along."

"But that's not what you—"

"Chase will occupy her guards. Chloe will handle the explosives. But I need someone to watch my back so I can get to her. You're the only person I would fully trust with my life."

Snakehead wouldn't be patient for much longer and they were all tired of fighting. This needed to finish one way or another.

Bill snorted again. "Out of everyone on this Earth, you people really find me the most trustworthy one?"

"You people?"

"Forget it."

Cassie wanted to inquire more about what Bill meant, but the comm channel beeped."The trucks are coming."

Cassandra was fast, Bill hot on her trail. It took them 74 seconds to get into the building. She jumped in through a window, sighing when no gunshots followed. "We need to go up?"

"Why?"

"Dramatic entrance."

"The trucks stopped."