Chapter 35- Diana

Diana

"It honestly should not have been that hard to get some drugs," Diana said.

"You'd be surprised," Chloe murmured.

"What?"

She shook her head.

"You sure you're okay?" Diana asked, casting another look across the kitchen table where Chloe was sitting and playing with her food.

"Yeah, yeah. Fine," She said, giving a shrug.

Diana rolled back her shoulders, groaning. "I shouldn't have fallen asleep at the table. My back is killing me." She paused. "I sound like my mother."

Chloe didn't give an indication she had heard her. The coffee cups from last night lay on the counter, bloody tissues and towels soaking in the sink. Nobody had bothered to clean it up. Cassandra spent the night by Andrew's bedside, Chloe went to bed and Diana had stayed up waiting for Bill. He never showed.

"You think Cassie managed to get Pablo and Martina to the safe house? They left early, it shouldn't have been an issue."

Chloe stared at her cereal bowl like it held the secrets of the universe.

Diana gave a sigh, shoving a spoon of Cheerios into her mouth. The apartment was silent as it was most of the time, but after last night's commotion, she found the silence unbearable.

"What do you think?" Diana asked, a last attempt to make some sort of conversation.

Chloe blinked. "Mówiłeś coś, Irene?"

Diana let out a laugh. "English, please."

Chloe dropped the spoon back in the bowl, taking it to the sink.

"You know you can talk to me, right? Like, I may not be able to help but I can listen."

Chloe shook her head, balancing on the balls of her feet and then swinging to her heels. "It's okay."

Diana hadn't left the apartment since their mall trip and Chloe seemed to have been more relaxed then.

"I don't want to bother you," she continued. "We shouldn't talk about ourselves while we're on a job."

"Yeah, okay. But we're not. We're having cereal at 7 in the morning, as in, not working."

Chloe circled the table, stopping in between the living room and kitchen, focusing on something behind the balcony doors. The early morning sun hit her face, making her blue eye bright and her skin golden under its rays. Diana held a breath.

"I was on my way to Bulgaria. My boss in Poland needed someone to get his things across the borders. But I got caught and arrested. Ellie, one of the mentors, she was at the station they took me to. She told me she could get me out if I agreed to go with her. She said she'd protect me and help me."

"Wh—"

"Please, let me finish."

Diana nodded.

"I agreed. I didn't want to go to jail and I needed a place that would keep me safe. Phi offered me a chance to learn and defend myself. I needed that because I had left a friend back in Poland when I ran. She had helped me escape but not before they took her back. Her name's Irene."

Her eyes glossed over.

"I tried reaching her parents, but what was I going to say? I escaped and their daughter didn't. Those people. They made us do things and promised we could stay together if we were obedient."

Obedient. Diana shuddered.

"When I joined Phi I had hoped that I'd become fearless enough to go back home and find the people who took her away."