chapter: 8

"You knew this before?" Emy asked him, confused by his calm expression.

"Yes," Seth replied, still acting cool.

"How?"

"Her skin... it's pale. Her body is ice cold, like a dead person. She doesn't eat or drink anything except her special drink. And have you noticed her canine teeth? They are long and sharp. So the conclusion is she is a vampire"

Emy stood there, startled. She never noticed these things, even though Kate was her roommate. She never doubted Kate to be something inhuman, even though she was weird.

"How come I never saw all this? Why didn't I suspect her to be inhuman?" asked Emy

"Firstly, because you trust everyone blindly. And secondly, because you didn't even know about this vampire thing." Seth explained.

"Yeah, I trusted everyone blindly. But not anymore. And I am going to shift to another room."

"No Emy. Don't do anything insane."

"Are you suggesting I stay with a cruel inhuman creature after all that happened?"

"Emy, I know you are really paranoid now. But think wisely. It will only take seconds for her to rip your throat out. But she hasn't done that till now. Which means she won't have any intentions to kill you. So just act normal. OK?"

"What if she attacks me? I am sure she won't consider me as a friend when she is thirsty. Should I take the risk?"

"Emy, she will never attack you. I am damn sure about that. I saw the way she comforted you when you freaked out seeing Nina's dead body. She cares for you. You are her only friend here. So trust me. She won't hurt you. Just act the way you were before all these took place. OK?"

"OK" replied Emy trying to convince herself that Seth is right.

When  Emy went back to her room,  she saw that Kate had returned. But she didn't feel Kate like the way she did before. Kate was like an unknown person to her. At first, Kate talked to her about the places she visited that day with Max. But seeing Emy's weird behavior she decided to remain silent.

2 hours passed. Still, Kate didn't utter a word to Emy. This made the atmosphere awkward. So Emy decided to break the silence. She wanted to ask her something casual but when she looked at her side, she saw Kate drinking her secret drink. This provoked her mind. She recalled everything that happened. The headlines in the newspaper...Nina's bloodied body....She forgot everything Seth advised her. She was not able to consider Kate as her friend anymore. Her fears were transforming into apoplexy.

"Kate?" Called Emy making up her mind to talk boldly.

"Yes?" Answered Kate wearing a cool expression on her face.

"Police has come to certain conclusions about Nina's murder."

"Oh...that's good news."

"They say it was the work of a vampire."

"Hmm....interesting."

Emy noticed Kate's face and was surprised by the calm expression. She thought Kate would be shocked to hear that. But she was wrong. She again made up her mind to avow everything she found out.

"And I know who that vampire is, Kate." snapped Emy throwing Kate's official paper from the dark army beside her on the bed.

"Wow, you found this very quickly. I must admit. You are smart. I am impressed." sneered Kate taking one more sip of her secret drink.

This made Emy furious. She yanked the can from her and snapped, " Are you aware of the number of lives of innocent people you are taking just to satisfy your thirst, you monster? "

She threw away the can she yanked from Kate. Blood scattered all over the floor. Kate, who had remained calm and quiet became furious at this act done by  Emy. She pinned Emy to the wall and strangled her. Emy knew it would be a miracle if Kate leaves her alive.

Kate snarled, " Are you trying to outfox me? That is impossible. I am a vampire. But I am not a monster. I am clearly aware of what I am doing. Its sets of fools like you who don't know what's happening around you.

Emy was aghast. She felt febrile. She felt every nerve in her body freezing in fear. The way Kate looked now was very far from the human in her. Her eyes were red and the veins beneath them were swollen. At that instant, she remembered the way the dark army described Kate. Yes, she was indeed an aggressive vampire who should be dealt with carefully.

                                     (To be continued)