Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Perrie woke me up at 8 to get some breakfast, as she would have to leave soon. We got ready, and then walked to the street. 

Sure enough, there were some fans waiting. I let her meet with them and take pictures while I stepped off to the side. My phone buzzed, and there was a text from Niall.

Can't wait to see you and our son or daughter on Friday: the text read. I was so excited to see the results of the ultrasound and the blood work and see what we were having.

I am going to explode. I responded.

You're going to explode ?! R u going into labor ? He texted.

I've got a way to go until then. I laughed at my phone.

Perrie walked back over to me. "I'm sorry about that," she said. 

"No worries. I need to know what to expect when I become, um, exposed," I said. Perrie nodded, and we found a breakfast place nearby and then did a little more shopping.

We both found really cute winter hats. Mine was knitted and it covered my ears. It also matched my coat. It was only November, and wasn't to cold out yet, but I would be needing some chic winter wear.

We went back to my apartment, she packed, and then I drove her to the airport. She told me once again how happy she was, and I told her how happy I was that she could come. I also promised her that I would tell her the gender as soon as we knew.

I spent the next few days making my apartment more like home. I noticed that Niall didn't have any clothes here, so I went out and bought him some to stock the closet. I also filled the pantry with food for the week. 

I couldn't fill it all the way, because I knew that I would still be traveling a lot, and the food would go bad.

Finally, the day came when I would see Niall again. As happy as I was, I was also insanely nervous. It wouldn't be like in Ireland or my old town where we could do something as simple as walk to the car together and not be noticed. There were eyes everywhere in New York, and they would all be on him.

I hoped he would have a really good disguise or some plot to get us around without being stalked, but the truth was, wherever we went, there would always be people. He did tell me that he didn't like to wear disguises because it builds an ego, but we didn't really have a choice now.

He texted me early on Friday, saying he was getting on his flight. I picked out an outfit that hid my bump the most. Now that I was 17, almost 18 weeks, my bump was gaining a presence. I hated hiding it, because I really just wanted to show it off. 

If anybody did see Niall and I together and saw my baby bump, there would be assumptions. If people saw Niall and I together without my baby bump, there would be less of a chance of commotion. I could pass for a fan or a friend. 

My cravings consisted of grilled cheese and pop tarts. I would wake up in the middle of the night and open a pack of pop tarts to stuff my face. 

Sleeping alone was hard. Especially now that I was feeling the baby move. If I stayed still long enough, the baby would begin to move. It made me so happy, but also so sad because Niall wasn't there to share my excitement.

I would stare into the darkness of the wall just wanting Niall to be there with me. It did feel like I always had a piece of him with me, with the baby, but it wasn't enough. I wanted Niall's beating heart and his smile.

Every once in a while I would break down because of how much I missed him. It was unbearable.

I now almost regretted my wish. Now that he was coming, I was scared that he wouldn't be able to come to the doctor's appointment because of the cameras.