Chapter 75

Chapter 75

I made more of a point to go outside and get some exercise and fresh air as the weather got warmer. I also made it a habit to grab some sort of health drink while I walked.

Sometimes I would bring a blanket and lay Owen down on it to stretch himself and enjoy the sunlight.

I hadn't seen anybody else that I knew, and maybe that was a good thing. It was a big city, and most people were strangers to each other anyway.

One day when I returned to my apartment, the door was left open a crack, and that concerned me. I could feel my heart rate picking up out of fear, and I lifted Owen out of the stroller and into my arms.

There was somebody or something in my apartment, and I had no idea what it could be. Nobody had told me they were going to stop by, and that led me to believe the worst.

I knocked on the door with a light fist and then pushed it open further to see what could be inside.

"Hello?" I asked the empty room, waiting for some kind of response.

It was so quiet that I could almost hear my heartbeat echo.

I heard footsteps coming from the hallway where the bedrooms were, and then a familliar face poked out from the corner.

"Niall, oh my god!" I was so stunned that I almost dropped Owen.

Niall's face was lit up with joy and we both began to walk towards each other for a hug.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him when I pulled away. He had the same big grin on his face, but this time he was looking at Owen.

"I couldn't be apart from my family for too long!" Niall said, reaching out for Owen. I let Niall have him and then brought the stroller inside and back to its usual location.

"I can't believe you're here!" I said as we walked towards the couches. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

Niall rocked Owen in his arms. "I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to escape, so I didn't want to get your hopes up," he giggled. "But it all worked out, and here I am!"

"Escape?" I asked for an explanation.

"I wouldn't have been able to leave if the cameras knew where I was going. I made an appearance at a night club last night and then left immediately, so everybody still thinks I'm there."

"You're awfully sneakier than I thought," I added.

"I would do anything to see you," he said, looking up at me. I could feel my face blushing. "I was crazy to think I could go that long without seeing you two."

"Me too."

I laughed.

"You almost scared me half to death, leaving the door open like that!" I said. "I had no idea who was in here!"

"I thought it was better than having you walk in thinking everything was normal and then finding me in the toilet," Niall joked.

I had to give him some credit.

Niall told me how things had been going with his job and the crew members. It sounded like he was having fun, but he made it very clear that he wasn't enjoying himself because he was homesick.

"I told my mom's boyfriend, Rob," I admitted.

Niall smiled. "That's great."

"You know, he seems like a really good guy. I say that in all honesty," I said. "I was so quick to judge, but I know that he's trustworthy and just wants to be part of the family."