Chapter 73

Chapter 73

Perrie texted me and told me she really wanted to meet Owen, but she was so busy with everything going on with Little Mix and Zayn that she couldn't schedule a trip to New York anytime soon. I decided to facetime her the next morning instead.

I had just finished changing and feeding Owen and the screen was waiting for her to pick up on the other end. I was so happy to see her smiling face again.

"Alyssa!" She said, almost in a shrieking tone. I could hear how happy she was to see me, and started laughing.

"Hey girl!" I responded, pushing a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Where is he?" She asked eagerly, her icy blue eyes wide in suspense. She looked like she was at her house, I could hear some of her dogs barking in the background like they always did.

I had put Owen in a swinging pod (I just called it his swing) to set up the FaceTime call, and he was fairly peaceful right now. I hoped he would stay this way for Perrie.

"This is Owen!" I said, holding Owen up to the camera to show Perrie, and she melted from happiness.

"Hi!" She waved to Owen even though she knew he wouldn't see her. Owen squirmed around in my arms and I held him in a different position. "I can't wait to hold you!" Perrie had a hand on her heart.

I put Owen back in the swing and Perrie and I must have talked for an hour.

She wanted to know everything about the labor and delivery, how everybody reacted, and everything inbetween. With every word I said, her facial expressions lifted and fell as I told my story, and she was supportive of everything I said.

It felt so good to have somebody be so interested in what I was talking about.

She also told me about everything that had to do with Zayn leaving One Direction and the week she spent with his family.

I told her how devastated we all were but she convinced me for the best, and I was starting to believe that it was.

"Well, now they have another member!" Perrie said, talking about Owen.

I laughed. She wasn't the first who had mentioned that.

We were interrupted when my mom knocked on the door to my apartment. I knew it was her because she always knocks three times, her knuckles soft on the wood.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you soon," I said to Perrie, reaching towards my phone to end the call. "I promise."

"I can't wait!" She said cheerfully, her smile lighting up my phone screen. We exchanged goodbyes, and then I went to go open the door for my mom. Owen was still resting in his swing. He would surely be up any minute, crying and hungry.

I opened the door to see not only my mom, but also Rob. I bit down on my lip when I saw him, and then began to calm myself down with a deep breath. I knew this was coming, and I had to do what was best.

"Hello, Rob!" I said with a forced smile.

"It's so great to see you, Alyssa!" He said. He didn't come over to shake my hand or give me a hug, and I was thankful. That would just call for even more awkwardness that I didn't need right now.

"Come on in," I said, opening the door wider. "Owen is sleeping right now. You came at a good time."

"Owen is his name?" Rob asked with a slight smile as he walked inside.

"I didn't tell him yet," my mom interrupted, looking at Rob,

"Owen James," I clarified.

I guided Rob and my mom over to the couch and lifted Owen out of his swing and into my arms. He was starting to wake, but he seemed pretty quiet for now.