Chapter 56

Chapter 36

I closed my eyes and braced myself. Here goes nothing.

When I opened them, he was right there, standing in the door frame.

He looked similar to the last time I saw him. There wasn't a hair on his head that had moved, but I knew that when he saw me, there was a light in his eyes that wasn't there the day I told him I was leaving.

Our eyes met, but I couldn't tell if it was in a romantic way or not. He didn't move, he just stood there motionless.

I bit my lip and raised my eyebrows. Niall took his hands out of his pockets and I watched as his mouth shook and his eyes squinted. He put his hand on the door frame, and it was shaking slightly as well.

It felt like we spent a thousand years, just looking at each other, undecided on who would make the first move.

My heart ached.

I couldn't take it any longer, and I had nothing to loose.

I pushed myself off of the couch and cracked a small smile. He began to walk towards me and everything felt like it was happening in slow motion.

When we collided, he wrapped his arms around me and I buried my face in his shoulder. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Lou shut the door.

I could always count on Lou.

Niall squeezed me as tight as he could, and I don't think I had ever felt as close to him as I did in that moment.

When we finally pulled away, there were tears in my eyes. I hadn't realized how much he meant to me.

"I'm so glad you're back," he spoke quietly, hugging me again.

"I missed you," I responded. "Owen missed you too, he's been going crazy." I lowered my voice while saying the baby's name.

Niall bent down so he was eye level with my stomach. "Daddy's here," he whispered, and then put his face on my stomach.

It made me want to cry even more watching how much Niall cherish his son. I was so lucky that he loved his son after everything that's happened.

"I think your stomach grew since the last time I saw you," Niall said, getting back on his feet.

"It probably did," I said. "We're almost there." I smiled at Niall, and he put his arms around my waist and tried to lift me up in excitement.

"We're almost there!" He said. I started laughing and he led me back over to the couch.

I had forgotten that there were other people in the room, but it wasn't even worth caring anymore.

They would have to know eventually. And I doubted that they even cared enough.

"I promise that as long as you-know-who is gone, I'll be here to stay," I said. "There's no other place that I want to be than with you."

Niall wore a smile the size of the sun.

"You know that if I had the choice to run away with you, then I would," he said. He was normally a humorous person who didn't take anything seriously, but there was no hint of that in his words. His voice almost ached as he said it.

"I know," I responded without hesitation, staring at my fingers as I twisted my ring around.

"So everything's all set back at home?" He asked, switching the topic of the conversation. Things had gotten too deep.

I smiled and nodded. "Everything is in place. Now it's just the two of us that need to be 'all-set'."

"I don't know if it will ever set in," Niall said. He couldn't take his eyes off of my stomach.