Chapter 48- Diana

Start from the beginning

"If that's the truth then we're all children of prostitutes," another guy said.

"Maybe you are," Diana retorted.

"Chase," Cassie said, interrupting the argument. "You know it's true. You know Snakehead has been up to something and he's not an honest man. Scott has been trying to warn me for weeks but I wouldn't listen. You said you'd back me up, so I'm telling you this. Majesty is crazy but Snakehead's just as dangerous."

Chase and Cassie looked at each other across the table. He then sighed. "But you want us to steal a private jet?"

Diana grinned. "That's the exciting part."

"We need to get to Toronto and the fastest way to do that is to fly there. I don't know how much time Bill has got left." The edge in her voice was noticeable, aimed specifically at Chase to provoke something the two of them knew.

"Well do you know how to fly a plane, Cassandra? Because I don't," he said.

Diana didn't know Chase at all that well and he had never been ally material but desperate times indeed called for desperate measures. Her eyes passed over Chloe once again. She had been quiet during the meeting, not that it was unusual. She didn't look at anyone, touch anything and she acted much like she had when Diana had first met her. Scared. Insecure.

Cassandra said that Scott had shared the news about Snakehead with her, but she had gotten to know Cassandra and something told her Scott was not the one to convince her to do this.

"We'll find that out once it's in the air," Cassie said.

"He could be lying," a guy from Squad 4 said. "How can you trust the guy who betrayed us all in the middle of a fight?"

"Or he could be telling the truth. It's the only lead we have," Cassandra said.

"What do we do?" A girl asked.

"If we knew, we'd already be doing it," the same guy shot back.

"Drop it, Travis." She rolled her eyes.

Diana tapped the keyboard anxiously. She leaned her bare face onto her palm. She didn't bother with makeup today. She'd left the products that Chloe had given her on the doormat in front of Chloe's room. That was pretty much all the makeup she'd owned anyway.

"Stop," Chase said. "Fine. We'll go with you. To save Bill. But what happens after?"

"Whatever you want. You can disappear and have a normal life, get away from this place. You don't have to worry about Snakehead or the drug again."

"And you?"

"First, I'll find out the truth and then I'll deal with whatever comes after."

Chase nodded. "Alright." Then he smiled. "But you're not serious about the jet."

"Deadly," she said. "I'll give you the details on the plane. Andiamo."

Squad 4 walked away, leaving what was left of Squad 6 alone just as Scott reached the office.

"You're not letting her come along, are you?" Diana glanced at Chloe.

"I am."

Diana did a double-take. "Why? She's not capable to fight."

"And you are?" Cassandra challenged.

Diana wished to jump out of the wheelchair and show her how capable she was. If only she could. "That's not the same thing and you very well know it."

Cassandra looked at Scott. "Imagine having a team where one person is dead, one's on drugs, one is drunk, one disabled, one a double-agent, and one detached from reality."

Scott raised his eyebrows. "That's a set of very unfortunate circumstances."

"It does, doesn't it?" Cassandra said. She looked at Chloe and Diana. "If you can't do this for each other or yourselves, do it for Bill. Or Lee. Or Irene. I think you owe them that much."

Diana's cheeks warmed up. She had become so obsessed with her anger, she'd forgotten about Lee, the very person she was supposed to be doing this for.

"You're right," Diana said, extending a hand to Chloe. "Teammates?"

"Teammates," Chloe said.

"But let's be clear. That's all we are," Diana said.

Maybe when this was all over, she would take the time to listen. As things stood now, feelings were only getting in the way of what was important. Saving Bill.

_______

Hey there!

New update from me, as expected. I hope you enjoyed it. Don't forget to vote and comment if you did. For those of you who follow me, you'll know I promised a double update to say thank you for over 20k reads. I am beyond happy to see you guys engage and react to the story. 

The bonus update will be coming tomorrow, so Sunday. 

Brace yourselves. It'll be a long one and things may or may not be revealed. *wink wink*

While you wait, do let me know your thoughts on Chloe and Diana? Do you think Diana was right to be angry with Chloe? Will she forgive her? 

Until tomorrow,

Sara