Annoyances

“Fionna, hey- wake up.”

I groaned softly as a gentle voice shook me from my sleep state. A soft, warm pillow caressed my cheek while also giving my arms something to hold onto. I shuffled myself closer to the warmth; the voice could wait five more minutes, right?

 “Fionna, Glob, wake up.”

 My shoulder was suddenly being faintly shaken and I couldn’t help but let out a groan of annoyance. I wanted to slap the hand away but in order to do that, I would have to see it first. I scrunched my eyes open ever so slowly, taking in a deep breath as the blinding light from the sun flowed into them. I gave a small stretch, releasing the tension in my back, while still holding on to my source of warmth. When my eyes had adjusted and I was enough awake to realize the voice was Marshall, I began to look around.

The comfy ‘pillow’ I had so dearly loved was none other than Marsh’s arm. My own arms were wrapped around his quite defensively as my head rested on it as well. I remembered the deal from a few nights ago and had the sudden urge to jump away from him but decided to see how Marshall would react instead. I’m still not even completely sure if he has feelings for me or not, though he’s always leaning into the ‘not’ category. Even so, he flirts to no end and is as protective of me as Cake, sometimes even more so.

“Fi-you awake now?” he chuckled quietly as our eyes met, mine squinted slightly due to the fact I had to face the sun in order to look at Marsh. I didn’t say anything back because it’s obvious if I’m looking at him, that yes, I’m awake. “You know, we started the challenge-crap-thing not even two days ago and you’ve already broken a rule. Multiple times, might I add.” he said, his eyes shifting down to where I had tangled myself with him.

Yes, it just so happened that this was not the first time I had awoken with Marshall trapped between my arms. It had happened every morning since our little midnight challenge. I wasn’t doing it consciously, no, I wanted to win, but I had to be doing something, whether I knew it or not, or else this wouldn’t be happening every morning.

“I did that in sleep, it’s not my fault. You could have easily pushed me off.” I retorted, my voice slightly scratched and some of my words not coming out exactly right. His eyes held amusement as he pondered this for a moment.

“It’s not like I’m going to just shove you off. That’s not very gentlemanly of me.” his voice was also a bit hoarse but still less than mine. He had been telling me to wake up for who knows how long.

“Oh? Since when do you care about being a gentleman?” I asked, releasing my hold on his arm and propping myself up. He never answered, instead he simply looked at me with those sparkling chocolate eyes and a small smile which tugged at his lips.

My stomach was attacking itself with millions of nervous feelings. My breath was shaky and as much as I wanted to be happy, that was the last feeling that came to my brain right now. While being home was going to be a good thing, I'd only encounter another problem there. Sometimes it’s as if my life has it out for me. I’m never able to pause and take a breath, or enjoy what happiness I get without wondering what bad thing is going to come from it. I’m always feeling something, though, whether good or bad, it’s nice to feel anything at least.

Today is the day we are to be arriving back into the candy kingdom. Good timing too, one day ahead of schedule. Marsh and I had to continue walking almost non-stop last night in order to reach where we are now. If the spaceship parts were to enlarge before we made it to Gumball's castle, we wouldn't be able to move them to his lab and the candy people would know something is wrong. Those are indeed both bad things.