Just a Friendly Game

"but...it's only you...I desire...I desire you!"

-Alois Trancy

The raven haired, brown eyed boy I had fallen so deeply in love with was currently staring at me. For just a few seconds I saw in his eyes what I thought was a twinkle of happiness and a spark of amusement. Now though, his eyes held no amusement or lust or anything other than emptiness. I couldn't tell what he was thinking but I knew he was thinking hard, for his eyebrows began to crease and his fingers twirled together mindlessly. We watched each other carefully, my gaze silently leading him on, beckoning him to say he loved me too. His eyes scanned my face as if he were trying to detect any sense of joking or unsure feelings from me. I didn't feel uncomfortable from his gaze though; I knew what I wanted. I wanted him.

After a few moments, when I continued to stare back at him confidently and practically oozing with love, he finally gave a sign he had heard me. This reaction though, wasn't anything close to what I was hoping for. Marshall sighed deeply and ultimately tore his eyes away from mine. The night air brushed past my face and as it passed by me, it seemed to take a piece of confidence away with it.

No words dared to slip through either of our mouths and through that, another piece of my confidence was torn away. My heart dropped even lower than it was, drowning hopelessly in my chest. My mind was a puddled mess and the only thing I could sense was the absolute tortuous and embarrassing feelings I was getting from this mind numbing silence.

"Fionna, Gumball isn't listening anymore, give up the act." he awkwardly chuckled. Despite the fact my heart was being torn to shreds by this very person, I couldn't help but think of how tired I was. Mentally and physically, just, tired. "It's been a long day so lets go to bed." he pressed on.

Are you just going to ignore me? I wanted to ask this but for some reason, didn't. The humiliation of being rejected was already enough, I didn't need him telling me again. But, even though this was true, I still wanted an explanation from him. Why wasn't I good enough? Why couldn't he love me? Why won't he look at me?

By the time I had decided to face reality once again, Marshall was no longer standing in front of me. The moon was shining just a little bit brighter and the wind seemed just a little bit colder. I shivered and looked around, noticing Marsh as he fumbled with our bed's blankets.I slumped my shoulders slowly, my stomach seemingly dropping to the ground, and my heart feeling as if it were being torn from my body.

No. I'm not going to stand this. I'm not going to feel like this. No.

"A-are you just going to pretend I just didn't say anything? I know you're not stupid enough to think I was actually joking, Marsh." I'm not going to be the crying little girl. I'm not going to pretend I didn't say it. He's going to love me by the end of this conversation whether he likes it or not.

There was silence before Marshall turned his bare chested body to face me. He laid on his stomach, his elbows on the ground and both palms supporting his face so that his eyes could meet mine. "Fionna, what do you want me to say?" he whispered, one of his hands now subconsciously flicking through his hair.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slightly angry. I hated when guys were like this. 'Vague and mysterious.' I don't need that, I need the truth, idiot. "How about what you really feel. Why don't you love me? I mean, even if you liked me just a little-that would be a good start, yeah?" Hopefulness was dancing throughout my voice and I knew by his earlier reaction that it was a long shot, but still, a girl had to try.

"It's not that I- I mean-" he sat up now, crossing his legs and letting out a deep breath. "Fionna, it's cold, come sit down." I shook my head at his offer, not wanting him to go off topic anymore. "I'll tell you-" he sighed, "just come get under the blankets, you'll freeze to death." I stood silent for a few seconds before quietly shuffling over to him and grabbing the blanket he outstretched to me. I sat a good distance away from him, making sure his body wouldn't interfere with my thinking.