Sharing is Caring

I ran away from Marshall, dodging a few trees before I couldn't hold it any longer and threw up  inches away from my feet. My body still wasn't completely used to being human again and simple tasks were somehow extremely difficult. Being sick on top of that didn't help much.

Yesterday had been the day Marshall and I first left the Forest people behind. We traveled all day up until eleven at night, which is when we stopped to sleep. We would have kept going further if it wasn’t for my constant puking and irritability.

"Fi?" I heard Marsh call from behind me. My stomach fluttered as tears brimmed my eyes. I threw up again, resting one hand on the trunk of the tree in front of me and the other on my knee.

"Don't come over here." I said shakily, gagging on the words. I threw up again, a tear slipping down my face. Crying was a reaction to throwing up I’ve had ever since I was little. It didn’t hurt to vomit and I wasn’t completely disgusted by it, but crying was just the reaction I had, I couldn’t help it.

"Fi, Glob." Marshall sighed sympathetically. I could hear a thump on the ground behind me before his cold hands lifted the hair away from my face and towards my back.

"No-" I started, before vomiting one last time. I tried to push Marshall away but was too unsteady to move my hand away from the trunk of the tree.

"All done?" He asked, running his hands through my hair and gently up and down my back. I nodded, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand and spitting multiple times, trying to get the disgusting taste out of my mouth.

"I'll be right back." he said softly, setting my hair down and flying off behind me. I turned around and regained my composure but already missed the feeling of his hands on my back.  I sniffled a few times and wiped the back of my hand off on the tree. I stepped away from the disgusting scene and to another tree, sitting down on one of the large roots that exploded from the ground. I put my chin in my hands, looking around at the beautiful scenery.

I noticed all of our things were now scattered on the ground and guessed that was what Marshall had thrown down earlier. My body tensed slightly as I could feel the eyes of someone watching me.

"Marshall? You can't scare me." I moaned, lifting my head slightly. A laugh bellowed through the air.

"How did you know I was here?" He asked with a smirk, coming out of his invisible state. In his hands he held a paper cup filled with water from a near stream, I guessed.

"I don't know, just a feeling." I said, holding out my hands for the cup. His smirk dissolved slowly as he handed it to me, watching me as I took it. I didn't drink the water, just gargled it then spit it back out.

When I was satisfied with the taste of my mouth I looked back at Marshall whose eyes caught mine.

Had he been watching me this whole time?

"Sorry about this." I said quickly, thinking maybe he was mad we'd had to stop again.

"You can't help being sick." he said calmly, resting his head against a tree only feet away from mine.

I gave him a small smile before standing up, throwing the cup to the ground and walking to pick up my bags.

"Fionna?"

"Hm?" I called unsurely, not used to hearing my full name escape his lips. Marshall never really used my full name, not unless he was serious or trying to get something.

"Do you want me to carry you?" He asked, floating behind me.

"No, I'm fine." I said after a minute of pausing to take in his offer.