Bitter Flame

"I think we need some time apart." He suggested, looking anywhere but me. I froze for a moment, trying to hold back the tears that were already lining my eyes. I cleared my throat and stepped backwards slightly, definitely not wanting to be close to him at this moment. The urge to punch him was unnerving but I held back.

"T-that's totally cool, Flame. I agree because we should just hang as bros and y’know..." I ranted on. I couldn't think of anything else to say and my voice was quivering. "So I'll see you around, alright? Well I gotta go now but take care, okay?" I clapped my hands together and turned around before Flame Prince had the chance to look back up at me. I didn’t want to make myself look more foolish than I already had. He couldn’t even look me in the eyes, for Glob’s sake.

I’ve learned that my heart is indeed a very funny thing. I could battle evil all day; gashes and bruises couldn’t make me cry but a few simple words from a boy could have me bawling on the couch. Maybe I was weird or stupid, but I couldn’t help how painfully my chest ached from Flame’s words.

When I neared my tree house I slowed my pace, making sure not to give any signs that something was wrong. I didn't want to worry Cake, she had enough going on.

The door rattled open and clunk shut as I shuffled towards the kitchen. The house was eerily quiet and I saw no one around, not even little BMA. A yellow note stood out on the black kitchen countertop and I knew immediatly it was from Cake. I read it quickly and noted that Cake was staying at Lord Monochromicorn’s for a few days, nothing out of the usual for my sister lately. Just because it wasn’t unusual didn’t mean I liked it, though.

I stomped over to the couch and slumped down into the cushions. I felt a tugging at my heart and then a sudden burst. I planted my face in my hands and started to silently weep, laying down and curling in a ball for added comfort since no one was here to hug me. Cake was gone, BMA too,  Flame was gone, and Marshall. Marshall was gone.

Everyone was gone.

Recalling Marshall’s absence forced small whimpers from my throat and the overflow of tears to continue. I didn't know what to do with myself; crying was always such an awkward feeling. I hated it. Crying made me feel useless and weak, something I couldn't stand but still in the end, crying made me feel better somehow.

The room was silent except for the wind that creaked in through the windows and the small sobs and sniffles that escaped my lips. Three or four loud knocks hummed on the front door, instantly earning a groan from me. I took a much needed breath and sat up, quickly wiping away the tear streaks left on my face.

"Coming." I announced, my voice coming off more thin than expected. I cleared my throat as I neared the door, hoping it wasn't anyone important. I pulled open the barrier only to see a floating Marshall Lee, smiling at me and holding his umbrella tightly. Think of the Devil and he shall appear, I thought.

"Hey Fi, we haven't talked in awhile." He said, thoughtlessly.

I could feel the puffiness of my eyes and I knew they were probably red. The fact that Marshall was staring didn't make me feel any better about myself either. Even after him being gone so long, I could still tell he knew something was wrong by the look on his face.

"Yeah, no joke." I mumbled, leaning on the doorway but pushing the door open wider, leaving enough space for Marshall to float in. After he had passed me I shut the door, sighing as I turned around to face him.

"So you're back, huh?" I asked, slightly shocked. I didn’t know if I should hug him, punch him, or murder him. Maybe all three.

"You act like you're just dying to see me." Marshall noted sarcastically, a hint of a smirk appearing on his face.

"Well to be honest for the first couple of months, I was.” I glared. “Then I realized you weren't coming back anytime soon." I spat, grabbing a pillow and sitting down on the couch.

"Fion-"

"And what's worse Marshall Lee, is that you didn't even say goodbye." I huffed, avoiding his attempts at eye contact.

"I had some things to take care of in the Nightosphere. Saying goodbye would have just been harder for both of us.." He urged, plopping down on the couch beside me. "But," he sung happily, a small smile dancing on his face, "you are the first person I came to see."

I turned my head and couldn’t help but smile at him. Seeing his face made my heart want to flood all over again. I had missed him so much. My best friend, gone. He just left one night many months ago and now he has come back, just when I need him to cheer me up. He always did know how to show up at the right times.

"Marsh I missed you a whole lumping lot." I sighed, releasing my angry attitude. I scooted my body closer to him and embraced him in a hug, seemingly squeezing all of the pain out of myself. Marshall truly relaxed me and even though it was an awkward sitting-side hug, I melted into him.

"I missed you too, Fi." he said quietly, smiling onto my shoulder. "So, now that we've got introductions out of the way, are you alright Fionna?" Marshall questioned, pulling away from our hug and making fierce eye contact with me.

"What do you mean?" I made my best innocent face,  trying to avoid the conversation for as long as possible.

"Fionna." he snapped, drawing my attention to him again. I never liked it when he used my full name, not anymore. My full name in his mouth seemed foreign, it didn't belong. "Please just tell me what's wrong, I’m not going to judge, y’know."

I gave him a glare but sighed in defeat. "You were right." I huffed, now finding the ground very interesting. I refused to make eye contact with Marshall now. I was too embarrassed. I hated a great deal of things but saying sorry or saying I'm wrong has to be my most hated thing. "Stupid Fire Boy." I spat out, looking around the room.

"Did you tw-"

"Yeah we dated. And then we broke up, just today too." I chuckled sourly.

"I don't want to say I was right but..." Marshall joked, nudging me slightly. I knew he was uncomfortable with feelings, not unless he could relate entirely. He didn’t know any details so of course he couldn’t relate. Of course he was uncomfortable but still he tried, and thats what mattered, I guess.

"I know and I don't care." I lied, giving him a glare. The smirk on his face told me that he knew I was lying too. I had always made it clear I hated being wrong. Not only was I lying by saying I didn't care about being wrong, but I was also lying by saying I didn't care in general.

Because I did care, about Flame Prince, I mean.

It's so stupid now that I look back on it and I regret not listening to Marshall in the first place.

"Stupid Vampire." I huffed under my breath and rolling my eyes.

"I heard that. And it's vampire demon." Marshall smirked, giving me a playful wink.

"Ugh,” I groaned, “if you don’t stop being such an idiot  I'll puke all over the place." I said, trying to hold back a laugh. Though, when I looked at Marshall I instantly burst into laughter. His facial expression was priceless. It  was a mixture of disgust, anger, cockiness, and horror all in one.

Soon Marsh and I were talking as normal, as if he hadn't left me partner-less for six months. We didn’t talk about his absence and that was fine with me. As long as he was here now the same as usual, I could forgive and forget.

Even though we didn't talk about my emotional hurting in detail, Marshall didn't care. The best people after all aren't the ones who know everything, it's the ones who know almost nothing and still make you smile the brightest.

Adventures In AAA With Fionna and Marshall Lee [original]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara