Dear Fionna...

I made myself comfortable on the blue carpeted floor, dragging my bag so that it was now next to me instead of the door. I held the white colored envelope in my left hand while I propped myself up by using my right.

A sigh escaped my lips as I looked down, debating on opening it or not. Was it considered Marshall's if it had my name on it? Would it be an invasion of privacy if I read it? Maybe, though, he wanted me to see it.

I shifted my eyes around the living room. The space in which Marsh's axe bass usually sat was empty, somehow making the entire room feel incomplete. A wave of sadness washed over me and, as bad as it sounds, it felt nice.

It felt nice to be able to feel something besides worry or anger. Even if something was sad, I didn't have time to dwell on it for long- as least, not out loud.

I decided against better judgement and gracefully sliced open the paper package. Just in case it was something I really wasn't suppose to see, I made sure I didn't rip the paper too bad.

It's not like he wouldn't notice it was ripped open, but still, it made me feel less guilty somehow.

The paper inside was colored white as well, no lines on it as far as I could tell. The envelope fluttered to the floor as I began to unfold the sheet of paper which was previously trapped inside.

I closed my eyes before a word of text could reach my vision. What if this letter was a goodbye? A forever goodbye? What if it contained news he couldn't tell me in person so left it here for me to find instead?

It was from Marshall, right?

Billions of negative situations blazed through my mind, not like it was unusual though. I took a deep breath, shakily exhaling it before re-opening my eyes.

"Dear Fionna, 

I'm writing this before leaving for the Nightosphere but if you're actually reading this, you really shouldn't be.

I need to write here the things I wish I could explain to you in person. Why can't I explain them in person? I really don't fucking know to be honest. I'm weak and I'm sorry. Also, if you actually are reading this, sorry for cussing. I know you hate it.

Fionna, I really don't think I'm coming back."

My stomach dropped in grief at that single sentence. I carried on reading though, my desire for an explanation heavier than the pain.

"The Nightosphere really needs a ruler and no one else is up for the job. Plus, I can't really trust anyone with the title. I mean, I'm the only son of the original founder of the Nightosphere- I can't just give it to someone who doesn't care.

I mean, I don't care about it either but someone has to keep the order. If I didn't, it'd just make your life harder up there. Fi I'd rather never see you again than cause you trouble.

Which, I know doesn't fucking make sense, since I'm probably causing you trouble by leaving but...

I dont know.

Anyway, back on topic: I love you.

I know I'm just fucking scribbling down words as I think and I'm sorry if this is hard to understand but I'll make this clear, Fi I fucking love you like a whole lot

And I'm sorry I haven't said it as much as I should but I want you to know something really important.

Ive always loved you.

Fionna even when you were that slightly annoying little 13 year old begging me to sing with you and go 'on adventures' and braid your ridiculously long hair, I loved you. At that time though, I didn't know just how much.