Leads to Disaster

Mention the name Flame Prince and unlike before, I respond with no emotion. That burden of a name no longer carries any heart-strung significance; it hasn't for a long time and I don't think it ever will again.

Something, or should I say someone else now occupies that emotional space in my thoughts. That boy just happens to be the new ruler of the Nightosphere.

It was one week ago in which Marshall, the someone who constantly steals my ability to think clearly, confessed his love to me. It was three days later in which he came back only to bring bad news.

He had mentioned before that his mother was the current ruler of the Nightosphere but she was becoming sick. She had been around thousands of years, after all, and everything has to pass on eventually.

It just so happens that her time of passing came earlier than Marshall expected. He had planned to find another leader to take his place but due to the current events, it seems as though he ran out of time. He was now the ruler of the Nightosphere.

Ever since that day one week ago, I don't know where I stand with the stubborn Vampire-Demon. After he uttered the words I had been dying to hear, he swooped in for a kiss, but before our lips could collide, Cake came barging back into the room screaming about how she didn't want grandchildren yet.

I scoffed and blushed while Marshall simply sat frozen in place, his eyes glued on me with an emotion in them I've only seen a handful of times. One of those times being when he gave me my very useful birthday present.

But now, he's gone. That night, four days ago, after coming to tell me the details and explain a few things, he left. Returning: who knows when. Though, he did give me a parting gift-a ring.

No, unfortunately it wasn't a wedding ring or a ring promising our love for each other. It was simply for my protection, which, in a way is sort of like love. The ring itself was a beautiful silver color with a type of swirl design wrapping itself around the band. There was just a single gem in the middle, its color a blood red, reminding me of my sword in a way.

There were small scratches here and there on the band, being that it was an old treasure of Marshall's. "Never take this ring off unless you're in danger, Fi. If you do, I'll be alerted instantly-it's connected to my brain and junk-long story." he said before sliding it onto my right hand, middle finger. One finger away from marriage.

He gave me a signature smirk before a sad smile replaced it on his lips. "See ya later, Fi. Don't get into too much trouble, 'kay?"

I opened my mouth to speak but no answer could make it's way up my throat. I wanted to reply with a sarcastic remark about how a guy with a reputation like his shouldn't be telling me to behave. But I didn't. I couldn't.

I nodded instead, the pit of despair in my stomach not making the goodbye any easier for me. I expected at least a hug or kiss on the cheek but I received no affections before he dumped the carton of bug milk on the paedophilic smiley face.

"W-wait, Marsh. You promise you'll come back, r-right?"

"Honestly, Fionna." he said, shaking his head with a small chuckle, "I couldn't stay away even if I wanted to." He looked away, mumbling a small "I'm sorry."

The portal to the Nightosphere opened, and Marshall, with his luggage in tow, glanced at me one last time before hopping through and shutting it quickly behind him.

I sat at the edge of 'my bed' now, twisting the reminiscent ring around on the finger he had placed it. He had left so suddenly those four days ago but still, every day without fault, he pops into my head one way or another.