The Unwelcomed Guest and Blonde Baby

"MARSHALL!" I screamed, as guards surrounded me.

"FIONNA!" He yelled back. I could barely hear his voice over the loud voices of the guards. Marshall's body was hidden in a sea of tree people, more and more piling on top of him.

A black creature sprang from the ground, throwing guards into the air above me. I looked more closely as I fought the guards off and noticed that that black creature, was in fact Marshall.

In his large bat form he was much more powerful, throwing the gigantic trees like pebbles while I could hardly make a dent.

More guards ran towards him, only to be pushed and thrown away. Five large trees surrounded me, weapons in hand. In the first five minutes I managed to take down two and was just about to finish off a third when I was lifted into the sky.

It was Marshall, carrying me in his arms and flying outside of the large building. Guards rushed out of the door but quickly stopped at the sight of him.

"If you separate us I'll kill you all!" Marshall shouted at the group. Most backed away instantly and stared at us expectantly.

My breathing was heavy and raspy but I relaxed into his arms. My sword was scratched, almost broken from trying to cut the trees. A trickle of blood cascaded down into my eyelashes and another one on to my lips. I didn't want to see what I looked like because I already knew. I looked the same as any other time I would go adventuring; dirty, bloody, and weak.

I knew Marshall was tempted. The smell of my blood, dripping down my face; he was tempted. I kept my gaze on him as we floated above the guards; his eyes would change colors, from a soft red, to a much deeper, darker one. I could feel his breathing, heavy and quick, as was mine. As much as I didn't want to, I had to get away from him soon. I had to bandage myself before he couldn't take it any longer. Before he would loose control, something he's never done, even on the countless times he's saved me in an adventure.

Lynden had only expected my arrival. The guards were ordered to separate Marshall and I, but once Marsh found out my sword couldn't make a dent in the guards, he wouldn't leave my side. If anything were to happen, I would basically be defenseless and Marshall would be locked away somewhere.

"Fine. Return to normal, Vampire Demon, and we will see to it you two will not be separated." retorted the first guard, setting down his bow and stepping forward. The rest of the trees angrily agreed, following orders and setting down their weapons as well.

Slowly but surely Marshall shrunk down into his normal melancholy self. I stood beside him, wrapping my right hand into his left and tightly clutching his skin. He did the same with me as we walked forward and back into the hut, cautiously watching the guards surrounding us.

"Are you alright?" he whispered, his breath tingling my neck.

"Yes, of course." I said, trying to sound secure but instead my words tumbled out, unsure and squeaky.

He gave me a raised eyebrow but squeezed my hand in reassurance.
A small smile played at my lips; "Are you okay?" I asked, taking the subject away from me.

"Never better, Fi." he smirked, his cold breath playing on my ear and making me shiver slightly.

We were escorted very cautiously into a large room, one neither of us had been in before. Two doors on opposite sides of the room caught my attention, mostly because of the symbols painted on them.

I didn't exactly know what the symbols meant, but the left-sided door showed a large red diamond with two smaller ones on either side of it. The right-sided door depicted a large book with strange lines written on the cover.

Marshall sat beside me and although his face was calm and collected, his body was stiff as well as his grip on my hand, which he never released.

I soon began to calm down myself, pulling the messy blonde(and slightly pink, from blood) hair out of my face and studying the guards carefully.

While we waited, Marshall tore a ring of cloth from the collar of his shirt and wrapped it tightly around my head to stop the bleeding from before. His body was stiff and quick and I knew he didn't want to be around me. He couldn't be around me.

I didn't want him to be around me.

Even though he had changed back to his normal form, Marshall's eyes stayed a light red color as he sat by me. I tried to scoot farther away from him but each time I did, he would pull me back to my original spot until finally I gave up.

"So what?" I asked, finally tired of doing nothing, "Where's Lynden and when's he going to see us?"

A long silence stretched before another tree came in through the right door, wearing a more conservative outfit than the guards.

"Lynden will see you now, Fionna. And only you." He spoke.

I shifted my body towards Marshall, seeing worry glaze through his eyes. My heart raced and a smile almost made its way to my face at the thought of his care. It was my turn now to show reassurance so I squeezed his hand gently before standing up.

After all this arguing, going into that room alone didn't mean we wasted a fight, it meant Marshall and I showed we were tough. It showed we were tough enough, even trees couldn't crush us, and that, proved a point.

Marshall stood up with me but as he did, guards stepped closer.

"Fionna only." one repeated, shifting his weapon from his right hand to his left.

"I'm not going in, I'm going to listen." Said Marshall, slowly and mockingly, as if they didn't speak english.

I took a deep breath before lifting my foot and making my first step, Marshall carefully behind me.

I knew what I had to do.

I knew what I had to get.

And I knew I had to get it soon.