Broken Vault

A loud beeping vibrated steadily in my ears, pulling me out of my dream state. My eyes twitched until I squinted them open, instantly blinded by the lights above me. I groaned softly but they soon ajusted, allowing me to focus. My stomach churned when the thoughts of what had happened earlier entered my brain.

Was that all a dream?

I inhaled a deep breath and opened my eyes completely. My head begun to pound instantly as I peered around. On my neck was the source of the annoying sound; the pink crystal I had recieved from Gumball. My full body was now awake but I felt a strong pressure on me. I looked down, seeing none other than Marshall Lee laying comfortably asleep on my legs.

I smiled and looked closer, brushing away his floppy black hair to reveal peachy skin. I looked down at my own skin to realize that none of that was a dream.

I was a vampire-demon.

I couldn't possibly answer a call from Gumball looking like I did. If he saw me like this, the first thing that preppy prince would do is go tell my sister, giving her only more hatred towards Marshall.

I didn't want her to dislike Marsh even more than she already did, even though this situation was his fault, I thought. On the other hand, if I didn't answer the call, Gumball would still tell Cake, leaving me with only one choice; to answer it.

I pressed the button, letting Gumball's face appear before me but pressing my finger over the camera type device that displayed my face to him.

"Fionna? Why is the screen black? Did you break the crystal?" Asked Gumball, his face filled with slight worry.

"Ah no," I said, taking a deep breath, "I just feel a little bad and I don't look too good. I don't want you to see me like this." I didn't lie, lowering my voice slightly so that Marshall wouldn't wake up.

"Oh Fionna," he laughed, making me feel dizzy, "well thank you for your consideration. Is Marshall Lee around by chance?"

"No, actually he's asleep." I said surprised. "Do I need to wake him for you?" I attempted to form my voice into a sicker tone so that my act would be believable.

"No, no, no." he rushed, "I just want to talk with you. I have a question, actually."

"Um, yes?" I asked, cold sweat seeming to flood my hands. My voice was shaky and my melon heart had a very bad feeling about this.

"See Fionna, do you remember the day you left for this trip?"

"Well, yeah." I stated, not completely sure where he was going with this. 

"Do you remember what we shared that day?"

"Not exactly. What are you trying to say?" I asked quietly.

"Our kiss, Fionna."

The vault in my brain, the vault I had tried so hard to lock up securely had been broken into in seconds. The memory spilled out, leaving me with no words. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

A horrible wave of feelings came over me, making me feel disgusted and terrible at the same time. I shivered at the thought of his lips on mine, mine on his. The day it had happened I thought hardly nothing of it. I thought nothing of it because I didn't want to think at all.

Years and years of seemingly torture, crying, secret pictures, and talks from Cake. Years I spent wanting nothing more than a delicate kiss from the Prince of the Candy Kingdom.

Years.

Sometimes, even when I was with Flame I dreamed of Gumball.

But, slowly and surely I burned the pictures, threw away the locks of his hair, and stopped thinking about him in a romantic way altogether. Cake was so proud of me, I remembered.